Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jkendall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 11:13 PM
    I have a 8 yr old Chihuahua mix he has been peeing and pooping in the house, why
    I have an 8 year old Chihuahua mix, he has been very good at going outside to do his business but lately in the last month he has started to pee and poop in the house, we did get a cat about 6 months ago but he was fine when we got him, neither of them are fixed at the moment and also he has been wanting more attention like constantly wanting to sit on my sons lap and if he or I say no, he does he business right there on the floor and neither my son nor I see him do it. Is this a territorial thing between them two or is he jealous. Can u give me some advice on this matter. Please help I can afford a steamer cleaner on a daily basis.

Thanks
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 11:18 PM
    It does sound like he's put out about the cat.

When he does have an accident what do you do?

You're going to have to start back at square one. If he potties in the house a firm no, and only that, then take him outside, say his potty word until he goes potty, and then tons of praise and a treat.

Got for daily walks to give him the exercise he needs, and time to potty.

If he's being a brat, then ignore him. Negative behavior means no attention. Positive behavior means tons of attention.

I would also get him checked by a vet just to rule out anything physical like a UTI.

Good luck.
    Jkendall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 11:27 PM
    I agree I think he is jealous but wasn't sure, when he has an accident, tell him bad and say no, then take him outside say potty outside and/or poo outside.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 11:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkendall View Post
    I agree I think he is jealous but wasn't sure, when he has an accident, tell him bad and say no, then take him outside say potty outside and/or poo outside.
    Dogs can be a lot like children. Definitely tell him no when he has an accident inside, but don't pay too much attention to it. That's what he's looking for, attention. Any attention, good or bad, is better than none at all. I'm not saying you don't pay attention to him, but he feels like you aren't.

When he does something good then go over the top with praise. Hugs, kisses, good boy, treats, you're such a good boy. If he gets praise for doing what you want, he'll continue to do it. If he's basically ignored when he does something bad, it won't be worth it. So, a firm "no", and then that's it. Nothing more is said about it. Clean it up, take him outside, but no more than that one firm no for his bad behavior.

But do have him checked out just to rule out a medical issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog peeing and pooping in the house [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old border collie min pin mix. He has been peeing and pooping in the house recently (in the same general area) and I am not sure how to get it to stop. He has done it off an on for years: he will go weeks without doing it and then suddenly start again. This time it doesn't seem like...

Why is my dog pooping and peeing in my house [ 4 Answers ]

My dog has been peeing and pooping in the house. I walk him 3 times a day and he does his business, but then also does it in the house. I had him fixed and he started doing it right after that. I thought I would be patient with him for at least the first two weeks. Now it has been at least a month...

Why is my 5 year old beagle mix pooping in the house? [ 4 Answers ]

We have had this rescue dog for over one year. He has run of the house and access to the back yard, which is fenced in, through his doggie door. We have 4 other dogs who he gets along fine with. He has been very sneaky and with every chance he gets he pees and poops upstairs. It is very hard to...

My 4yr old chihuahua won't stop peeing in my house [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know what else to do. I put the training pads down and she will pee right beside it or she will go on it and then go somewhere else and go there. I take her outside. I heard a few people talk about crate training can I get some input on my situation? Also She has recently started...

View more questions Search