Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grand2012Tra Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 11:00 AM
    Executor of will
    My mother passed away last week. My step-father is the executor of the will and I am the executor if he dies. He is in the assisted living facility and has some dementia. I'm his power of attorney. Does this give the right to take over the executor job for him? What if is niece takes over the POA? Does she have the rights for him? This is hard for me if she does because this is my mother and the niece is no blood relation.

Also, do all wills need to go through probate court? Since everything was jointly owned and my stepfather gets it all, is it a simple case of taking my mother's name off everything?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 4, 2012, 11:06 AM
    Yes, if you named the successor executor, then his incapacity allows you to take over.

What about debts? If everything was held jointly with right of survivorship, then the assets pass to the stepfather outside the estate and all that is necessary is to change the ownership.
    Grand2012Tra Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 11:39 AM
    Therefore, if the niece gets poa for him, I still take over on my mother's will?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 4, 2012, 12:00 PM
    Yes, her having a POA doesn't change the terms of your mother's will. If the will didn't name a successor executor, then she might be able to argue the point. She can still argue, but that would mean hashing it out in probate court and I don't think she will win.

If you already have a POA, he would need to give her one, and if he is not competent, then he can't assign a new POA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Executor needs help [ 2 Answers ]

I found out my father has appointed me Executor of his Will. I am having an issue with disbursing a bit of cash he had saved up. One of the beneficiaries used to collect my father's social security benefits every month. I know for a fact that this beneficiary did not pay my father a penny for 3...

Executor [ 3 Answers ]

I am from a family of five. My sister and one brother are co-executors. My parents of 83 years old have finally completed their will and trust. My other two brothers have recently persuaded my parents to take a loan on one of their rental properties (but it will be in my parents name only). At the...

What an executor can not do? [ 8 Answers ]

My mom just died less than 2 weeks ago, I am 1 of 5 kids. My brother and sister are both executors of her will(which I have not been allowed to see), anyway they are already negotiating between themselves who gets which of the 3 cars(1 of them doesn't run), there is 3 houses and a total of 50...

Executor and witness of my will [ 4 Answers ]

Will it cause a problem if the same person who is a executor of my will also witnessed me signing the will

Need to know what an executor can or cannot do! [ 2 Answers ]

HELP! I am one of 4 beneficiaries (siblings) who inherited a house from my father. There was an appraisal done after his death to establish a cost basis for the home. Home has not been sold yet due to family who thought they wanted to buy it, then indecision of executor to sell with realtor or...

View more questions Search