Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 07:34 AM
    Dogs and fireworks
    I don't know if this is the right place BUT every year I get at least one dog bite case in which the dog was frightened and upset by the sound of fireworks and the commotion caused by people watching them.

I've done accidents where dogs have run into the road and been struck by a car, causing damage to the vehicle and a claim (and lawsuit) against the dog's owner.

I don't get involved (other than in rescue) but dogs jump through windows in an attempt to avoid the noise, run through screen doors, disappear and have never been found again by the original owner.

So - PLEASE - keep your pets safe today, tonight, over the Fourth of July celebration. Leave them home, locked in, doors and windows closed, perhaps a radio on.

My GSD is terrified of loud noises - she's also a rescue - and I have a light sedative which I give her and she's INSIDE the bedroom by her choice. On the Fourth I run my central air PLUS the bedroom air conditioner to muffle the noise.

PLEASE keep your animals safe.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 07:44 AM
    Great post and indeed something to be aware of. Our local television station ran a story about this the other night to remind people to keep their pets indoors and safe during the celebrations stating that this is the time of year when most dogs are lost than any other time.
    Thanks for posting this.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2012, 07:45 AM
    Colorado has a total ban on fireworks this year... Lucky me! :-) lol
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    You are lucky, even though I live in the county and they can't ban my neighbors with firearms, it's really annoying and this evening I will not be able to turn my dogs out for their usual play time, just long enough to take care of their business.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 07:52 AM

NY does, too - we have no local Police, only the Troopers and the County Sheriff and they are overwhelmed. Last year four people were "deputized" and still the fireworks went on.

Fill in your rant about why laws are passed when no one intends to enforce them here: { }
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Great post and indeed something to be aware of. Our local television station ran a story about this the other night to remind people to keep their pets indoors and safe during the celebrations stating that this is the time of year when most dogs are lost than any other time.
    Thanks for posting this.

- Always a pleasure when I have the opportunity to exchange thoughts with you, always.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 07:53 AM

So you are lucky Lucky?

Have a good holiday.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2012, 08:05 AM
    I'm actually pretty surprised that the ban is following through. Previous years, the county/state will ban the fireworks yet I'll still see the firework booths.. This year, no firework booths.. and only select cities are having firework shows...

In case you didn't hear.. but the huge Waldo Canyon fire was only about 20 minutes from my house.. and I guess there is another fire in the mountains West of my house.. Our entire state is on fire! :(

Happy 4th of July guys! Me & the dogs are going to BBQ tonight lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fireworks [ 2 Answers ]

What's chemical present in fireworks? Give one reaction to explain?

What's In Fireworks? [ 1 Answers ]

Currently make flash powder compositions using simple chemicals. My supplier is away and its coming up 2 fireworks day, I told my friends I would show them a simple flash composition but I can't now. Although I now think I could strip a firework and use the black powder contained inside. Would...

What Is The Structure Of Fireworks [ 1 Answers ]

Currently make flash powder compositions using simple chemicals. My supplier is away and its coming up 2 fireworks day, I told my friends I would show them a simple flash composition but I can't now. Although I now think I could strip a firework and use the black powder contained inside. Would...

Cats and fireworks [ 1 Answers ]

My cats are terrified by the loud noises. I started last night making sure that they were inside all day and night. Please remember to keep your cats/kittens as safe and secure around the fireworks and their noise as much as possible.

View more questions Search