Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 07:14 AM
    Voter ID/Suppression
    Hello:

The right wing tells us they only want to insure the INTEGRITY of the vote.. Then why does THIS right winger think it's to insure a Romney victory?

Pennsylvania state House Republican Mike Turzai got very candid in a speech to the state's Republican committee. He said that newly passed voter ID laws would allow Mitt Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania.

We knew it all along.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2012, 09:23 AM
    Conversely ,ineligible voters will help Obama win the State ?
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Conversely ,ineligible voters will help Obama win the State ?
    Hello again, tom:

If I was attempting to insure the integrity of the vote, I'd be WILLING to have a few ineligible people vote in order to make sure that EVERY legal voter has an opportunity to VOTE.. Throwing THOUSANDS of eligible voters OFF the rolls to keep, who knows HOW MANY fictitious voters from voting, is throwing out the baby with the bathwater...

Now, I'd be all over voter ID requirements if you can show me where illegal voting is a problem.. Any link will do. Plus, I'd be ALL for voter ID IF the states that NOW require them provided them FREE to all eligible voters... But, they're NOT doing that. I suspect they're doing that to make sure ELIGIBLE voters don't vote... That's voter suppression.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2012, 10:48 AM
    I too think that voter fraud is an overstated issue. However ,I have no problem with laws that require voter id if they are evenly applied. But you can't say that 'THOUSANDS of eligible voters are being taken OFF the rolls ' in PA. I'd like to see the evidence of it anywhere else too.
    And yes ,if there are states that don't offer free voter id cards ,they should. But Thirty-one states require all voters to show ID before voting at the polls.Are you claiming all of them practice voter suppression ? PA offers free voter id cards .So where's the beef ?
    These states still have to comply with Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act. So if there is voter suppression then by all means challenge the state provisions.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 11:28 AM
    This is interesting:
    UFO Sightings Are More Common Than Voter Fraud | Mother Jones
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 11:38 AM
    I've heard it's a picture ID needed. I get a cute little card in the mail (Illinois) from the county Board of Election Commissioners, but no one has ever asked for it when I vote.
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2012, 03:45 PM
    Lol ,I'm sure they don't ask the voters from the cemetery for id either .
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 05:46 PM
    I don't understand what the issue to having some form of photo ID, it is required for almost anything we do in life in the US. Try to open a bank account, heck my 11 year old son has a state issued ID.

It may appear rare, but ask about the election in Memphis TN a few years ago where the "dead" vote help swing the election. Requiring proper ID is not restricting anyone's rights. Anyone no matter their race, religion even sexual orientation can apply for a ID card
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I don't understand what the issue to having some form of photo ID,
    Hello Padre:

The issue ISN'T ID.. It's that LOTS of poor people don't HAVE the ID the state is requiring... Now, if the state issued a FREE ID along with the new requirement, I'd say their intention is voter integrity... But, if they DON'T, I'd say their intention is voter suppression. The guy in my link AGREES with me.

excon
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 06:01 PM
    And if a voter has become homebound or is in a nursing home or is hospitalized or is a non-driver and lives in a bad neighborhood away from a DMV so no state ID can be easily obtained...
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Absentee balloting provisions are common in all states.
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2012, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Padre:

The issue ISN'T ID.. It's that LOTS of poor people don't HAVE the ID the state is requiring... Now, if the state issued a FREE ID along with the new requirement, I'd say their intention is voter integrity... But, if they DON'T, I'd say their intention is voter suppression. The guy in my link AGREES with me.

excon
    The PA voter id is issued free .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 06:26 PM
    absentee balloting provisions are common in all states.
    But now a photo ID copy must accompany the application.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 06:31 PM
    The PA voter id is issued free .
    Hello again, tom:

South Carolina does too, but MANY of the other voter ID states don't. It's a national issue.

You should excuse my skepticism, but would you LINK me to the website where it discusses it? Are they mailing them to ALL voters? Do they have to pick them up?

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 02:21 AM
    Geeze maybe they should hand deliver them on a silver platter. Do voters have any duty and responsibility in the process ? Fr Chuck is right. You need an id ,and often a photo id for many common transactions . Voting should be no different .
    Under the new law, which Gov. Tom Corbett (R) signed in March, Pennsylvania will issue free photo ID cards to voters who can produce birth certificates or other proof of identify.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1472192.html
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2012, 03:14 AM
    geeze maybe they should hand deliver them on a silver platter.
    Under the new law, which Gov. Tom Corbett (R) signed in March, Pennsylvania will issue free photo ID cards to voters who can produce birth certificates or other proof of identify.

But Applewhite, who marched in Macon, Ga. with Martin Luther King during the height of the civil rights movement and first voted in 1960, casting her ballot for John F. Kennedy, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer, doesn't have a drivers license. She never learned to drive, and she lost her other IDs when her purse was stolen years ago. She has asked the state for a copy of her birth certificate, but the state can't seem to find it. As a result, she can't get a photo ID that will allow her to vote in the November election.
    Hello tom:

Mailing them would be fine... But, they're not even going to do that.. Apparently, people like Miss Applewhite must provide ID in order to get the ID... And, she must DRIVE to get it, but she doesn't drive...

Nahhh, it's voter suppression...

Excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 03:53 AM
    So she has no id and you think she should be allowed to vote ? How about the illegal immigrant that lives in the house next to her ?

Buterbaugh says the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation will the photo ID without charge to any voter who swears that he or she has no other ID that is acceptable for voting.“We have a list of things that we ask them, because some photo IDs that people already have will suffice under the letter of the law,” Buterbaugh tells KYW Newsradio. “So we go down the list of acceptable IDs and if they affirm that they don't have any other IDs, they sign a paper and then the ID is free for them.”
    SPECIAL REPORT: Pennsylvania's New Voter ID Card Law CBS Philly

Register to Vote by Mail

You can register to vote by mail in two ways:

Get a Voter Registration Mail Application form from the state or federal government. The Secretary of the Commonwealth and all county registration commissions supply Voter Registration Mail Applications to all persons and organizations who request them, including candidates, political parties and political bodies and other federal, state and municipal offices.
    Download the Voter Registration Application. Print, complete, sign and deliver to your County Voter Registration Office by mail or in person.
    Register to Vote

As you see . There are provisions for getting the id for free (freebies I understand being important to libs ) and for obtaining one by mail . There are also absentee ballot provisions for those who can't make it to the polls.

And both parties have poll watchers and organizations to get out the vote... ususally including picking up voters and bringing them to polling places if they can't get there on their own.
    I don't know what else they should do... pick them up in a stretch limo ?
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 04:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    But now a photo ID copy must accompany the application.

What I need to know about voting by Absentee Ballot due to the Voter ID Law
    New identification requirements take effect in November 2012.
    Voters must provide drivers license number, last 4 digits of Social Security Number, or a copy of an accepted photo ID when applying for an absentee ballot. Voters may provide identifying number to county over the phone, by email or mail.
    Identification will be verified by the county board of elections before the voters ballot will be counted. Voters have 6 days following an election to provide the necessary identification.
    UOCAVA voters and voters affected by the Voting Accessibility for Elderly and Handicapped Act are exempt.
    http://www.votespa.com/portal/server..._ballot/585300
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2012, 04:37 AM
    so she has no id and you think she should be allowed to vote ? How about the illegal immigrant that lives in the house next to her ?
    Hello again, tom:

Couple things... You make some assumptions that I don't.. SHE has NOTHING to fear fro showing up at a polling place. HE has EVERYTHING to fear.

IF the intent of the state was to PROMOTE voting, they could certainly inspect previous registration records to see if Miss Applewhite is eligible. And, I believe that IS the states job, instead of doing the opposite.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 05:11 AM
    There is nothing else to say. All your arguments have been answered . Pa. has a reasonable requirement for voting . The truth is that people who object to these minimal requirements don't want voter suppression all right.. They don't want to repress ineligible people from voting .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Just your regular voter. [ 10 Answers ]

Hello: I'm a wonk. I live, eat and breathe politics. You guys do too. I heard a statistic on the news today that 1 in 3 voters have YET to make up their minds. Wow. If they haven't made up their minds by now, what is the game changer going to be? Will it be a TV commercial? A personal...

Name Influence In voter ballots? [ 7 Answers ]

Do names influence voters? Would people in the United States feel comfortable with a president called Obama? Isn't the name too close to the possible mispronounciation of "Obey me?" How much do you feel that names influence the presidential election choices here in the USA?

Noise suppression. [ 2 Answers ]

What will be the best approach to be implemented in suppressing noise in a room with different engines located?:cool: :cool: :cool:

Period suppression for PMS? [ 5 Answers ]

Has anyone on the board tried period suppression (taking birth control all the time with no 7 day break) for PMS? I've been on the pill for a while now, but in spite of that I have really wicked PMS and periods... bloating, cold sores, soreness, allergy symptoms, cravings, headaches and insomnia...

View more questions Search