Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Friends Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Per Diem for Contractor on 1099-Misc
    I am a Canadian Citizen came from Canada to VA state for a short term 2 months contract which was further extended to 6 months, in 2006

I was paid hourly rate, and my pay was on 1099-misc form

Question 1) Can I claim per diem as when I asked from my employer, he told me that you can do so in your tax return. I didn't save my receipts of meal and lodging

Question 2) Can I claim my traveling expanses for moving back and forth from Canada, as my principal home was in canada

Question 3) I worked 20 days in year 2005, but got paid for that in 2006, should I file those days in 2005 or in 2006?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2007, 12:31 PM
    1) Yes, you CAN claim per diem.

2) Yes, In my opinion!

3) In 2006.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 2, 2007, 03:19 PM
    You really should get some professional help on this situation. Given that you were an independent contractor, depending on the facts of your situation you might not even need to be paying taxes in the US at all (because of the treaty). Either go and research the treaty yourself or else pay for professional assistance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2007, 11:29 PM
    I agree with TaxSearcher. Professional tax help is probably your best bet!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Independent contractor if F-1, no 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F-1 student on OPT. I worked part-time for several companies over the past year, and I received forms (1099-Misc, 1042-s) from a couple of them. I also worked as a tutor (literacy, reading) for a couple of families. There was no discussion about taxes in the beginning, and they...

1099 for contractor [ 1 Answers ]

Here is the situation. 1. Company "ABC. Inc", a S corporation has performed service to another company "123, Inc". 2. ABC company send invoice to 123 company for the service. 3. ABC company asked 123 company to issue the check to the individual name of the ABC company's officer, owner. ...

Per Diem for Contractor [ 1 Answers ]

I am employed by a VA based staffing company and at present I am working as a contractor at CA. I hold H1B visa and my legal status in the U.S. is non resident alien. Due to nature of my job, I am required to relocate at least twice a year. My question is that if I am working on an assignment which...

Can I hide my income in an offshore bank account if I am a 1099 contractor? [ 5 Answers ]

I just took a position as a loan officer. Income will be high and so will be taxes. If I am an independent contactor, can I hide some of the income in an offshore bank account? I know that no one will advise upon it I understand that. But how do people get away with it? What kind of work field...

Incorporated Vs 1099 Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to know the differences in tax that an individual would pay as an independent contractor vs being incorporated. I am on OPT now and would convert to H-1 in OCtober. I got an offer from a company and would like me to be incorporated. My total estimated income would be close...

View more questions Search