Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jodie2001 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Wrong place at wrong time
    Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend of theirs stepped in front of them and pointed a gun at the man. The man pulled away and the shooter shot four times and they drove in the other direction. According to them they did not know that the shooter had the gun on him and they didn't know that the victim was even shot. It was a ricoshea that hit the victim. They did not intend to rob him only ask for what was owed to them. They also had their brand new baby with them which is why my sister said there was no way I would do such a thing with my baby with me. Any opinions or outlooks would be appreciated.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2007, 08:38 PM
    If they didn't call the police or try to help him after he was shot they could still face charged of accesory to murder. If there were 4 shots they must have seen him fall after being hit and if they didn't stay to give a police report they technically helped the shooter.

They could have course agree to testify against the shooter for a lesser sentence but they are sort of screwed if they fled the scene of the crime with the shooter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Give the police all of the info on who did the shooting, where he lives and anything they know on him ( and pray they believe it and will actually check it out) Most police once they have made the arrest of who they think did it, often stop investigating.

So they need an seriously good attorney, best they can afford

Mar 2, 2007, 12:08 AM
    They didn't know he was dead because his girlfriend that was in the car as it sped away kept the car on the road. The police believe them that they didn't know because of their response when they were told he was dead. They did get all three of them and both my sister and her husband told the police everything. The shooter on the other hand denied everything even owning a gun but the police found the gun in his car. We can't afford to pay for an attorney so unfortunately they have to go with assigned counsel.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Hello Jodie:

Under the law, if during a robbery, a murder is committed, then everybody is equally guilty of the murder. That's as it should be.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 2, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Whether they knew the victom was dead or not, they should have reported the shooting.

If I follow your second note, the vic was in a car with his g/f when he was shot and the g/f drove away in one direction and the shooter in another? And what did sis and hubby do?

If they cooperate and are lucky, the DA may decline to prosecute. A more likely scenario would be a plea down to a lesser charge and probation.

Mar 2, 2007, 09:04 AM
    My sister went home with her baby and then to the hospital the next day because she was sick. Her husband went out with friends. They did not know he was shot so they went on with their day. It is all a nightmare. To get an attorney would cost 100,000 I have been told. I don't even have 1000.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 2, 2007, 09:27 AM
    The shooter stepped in front of them and fired 4 shots and "They did not know he was shot"?? Even if they didn't know he was hit, they knew he was shot at. To not report it implies guilt.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Hello Jodie:

The nightmare is just beginning.

No, you can't afford a lawyer. Few people can afford a murder defense. So they're going to be represented by an appointed lawyer. That's not bad.

However, before they get their lawyer, please convey to them the following advice: DON'T TALK TO ANYBODY!!

excon

Mar 2, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Unfortunately My sister did talk because when she asked for an attorney They told her fine then your under arrest for the murder of so and so and started to pull her out of her hospital bed. Then the officer told her and we will take your baby and place him in state custody. That's when she said stop and asked if I talk to you will you make sure that my mom gets the baby. The officer then said you know I can lie to you don't you. So she gambled that he would take care of the baby and talked. The man was not shot in the chest he sped away and the shooter shot at the fleeing vehicle. I already yelled at her why didn't you report the shooting and she said we don't have a phone. Which is true but I am trying to keep her calm and didn't say walk to a phone booth. You have all been very helpful thank you and please keep responding if you have more to say.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 12:22 PM
    I'm no lawyer but she asked for a lawyer and then they threatened her? What she said after this may be inadmissible but that will be for the court apointed lawyer to try and work out...

But I think again, it will be hard to avoid some type of charges because of all this.
    maxim Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Apr 18, 2007, 07:39 AM
    All you can do is tell the truth... yes you left the scene - which a good lawyer can argue that you's were scared and not thinking clearly... bottom line - tell the truth and try to get a good defence lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Right Girl Wrong time [ 9 Answers ]

Hi All Recently started dating a guy about 3 months ago. I wouldn't call him a boyfriend or anything. However, I have fallen for him big style and we have continued to see each other from time to time. The only problem is that it is usually Alcohol related. I have told him that I would like to...

Am I wrong? [ 13 Answers ]

I had a little girl a couple of years ago with my ex-husband. I am now currently remarried and my husband has taken on a wonderful father role. My daughter’s biological father hasn’t been in the picture for over 3 years. He hasn’t had contact with us in over 2 years. I have not contacted his...

Am I in the wrong? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone, Please help me... There is this lad from work and he has liked me for a while now (at first I didn't like him... I always thought it would just be mates) he text me a lot and I would reply but I never gave the flirty or leading him on impression. Then I noticed a month later the...

Is something wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 24 years old and 2 years ago I got pregnant when the condom broke and had an abortion because I was not ready at the time and the relationship was so new. I have not been using any contraceptives for the past 6 months because we are now ready to have a child, and now I am not getting pregnant....

View more questions Search