Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maxwellhunt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Earth's Atmosphere
    Could deforestation on a massive scale effect the oxygen content of the earths atmosphere?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2007, 06:29 PM
    Of course it could and it does in areas where massive deforestation takes place - such as the Amazon rainforests.

Here is the Google page that lists links to many articles on this topic.

deforestation+oxygen - Google Search
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 02:01 AM
    Trees are the second main source of oxygen on the planet, after algae. Deforestation reduces the number of trees and so reduces the amount of carbon dioxide that is getting turned back into oxygen.
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Mar 7, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Like I stated in Capuchins post above, the deforestation going on presently is not enough to severely imbalance the oxygen levels, the percentage fall is negligible. However, detrivores and other such decomposer's release waste when breaking down complex organics back into their basic elements. Carbon dioxide AND other carbon based compounds are released as waste or products during these process.

Most of the trees that are deforested are left to rot, they only make furniture out of prime trees with good woody resins as material, not the crap you find in many of england s forests. This rotting produces A lot of carbon dioxide which severely adds to the global warming.
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2007, 10:18 AM
    What in my post was incorrect, evil dead?

Mar 7, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Erm...

I didn't think it was relevant since the deforestation currently is very massive yet Oxygen levels are at a usable rate...

Was I too fast?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2007, 10:29 AM
    I think the part you missed was that he wasn't referring to the current amount of oxygen but to the rising amount of cardon dioxide. Go back and read the post that you disagreed with.
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Yes, and how much longer, with continued growth of respiring species and continued deforestation will oxygen be at a usable rate?

I believe that the information I provided is very pertinent to the discussion, and not irrelevant at all.

Mar 7, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Ok I apologise. I just wanted to give good info
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 03:44 PM
    I like your avatar, evil dead.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 05:05 PM
    I just read an article about the changes in North America in the next two decades. While I may be able to garden all year round, there will be a lack of water to nourish my garden!
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 25, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwellhunt
    Could deforestation on a massive scale effect the oxygen content of the earths atmosphere?
    Certainly not at short term. But over a prolonged period... if there is no oxygen freed from the CO2 in atmosphere, slowly but surely the oxygen content would decrease. Very, very slowly...
    ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speed of the earth's rotation [ 17 Answers ]

At what speed does the earth revolve around the sun

Changes in the Earth's atmosphere [ 1 Answers ]

What are some possible effects of climate change resulting from a warmer earth? What are the major harmful effects of ozone depletion on each of the following: Human health Crop yields Forest productivity

Earth's heating [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, Most of us know that the radioactive stuff in the earth's mantle is responsible for heat production. But what does this has to with cooling of the earth and the planet's thermal budget? Is this where convection heat transfer come in? Also does anyone know a characteristic timescale of...

View more questions Search