Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    campkep Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 08:02 PM
    I'm trying to hang blinds (interior window mount).
    The building is concrete, cinder block, brick. Built in the 1920s. The windows are 54 1/4 inch wide and 80 or so inches tall. I've drilled through about 1/2 inch mortar and hit what must be a steel frame above and on both sides of this window. Even as far as 3 inches in from the glass. The windowsill is about 8 inches deep. I can't get a drill into this metal and there isn't enough mortar to hold a screw. Any ideas?
    I've tried Titanium bits, self tapping screws, and can't seem to get anywhere! Please help! My only option seems to be building in a 1x1 wooden frame inside this window and mounting the blinds to it. What do you all think?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 08:37 PM
    Try a cobalt bit, made for drilling hardend steel. Purchase several bits. The are quite brittle and break easily if too much pressure is applied. Slow speed.
    campkep Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 09:16 PM
    Thanks for the "tip". I'll give it a "spin". Sorry for the pun, I couldn't pass it up.
    I appreciate your suggestion! Someone from an un-named hardware store suggested a "Hinzer gun". I'm a little worried I might break out the window from the recoil.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why can't I mount a "wall mount only" light fixture on the ceiling? [ 6 Answers ]

I have several light fixtures, 8 feet by 2.5 inches, brass cover for the base, candelabra base, 8 bulbs. I want to install them on the ceiling in my foyer (where I have a carousel collection). Printed on the metal base it says wall mount only. What do I have to do to safely mount them on the...

Mysterious Broken Interior Window Pane [ 21 Answers ]

We have Pella double pane windows - the interior pane is removable. A few nights ago (around 2am), the interior pane in a guest bedroom suddenly exploded/broke into a million pieces. No one was in the room and the entire house was empty. In fact, no one had been in that guestroom for weeks. The...

Can you hang window panels at different heights in the same room? [ 2 Answers ]

I have 6 windows in family room which measures 94 inches to floor and a french door that measures 84 inches to floor. Can I hang 84 inch panels on french door and 94 inch panels on the windows all in the same room?

Interior plaster around window is popping [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Plasterwork around inside of kitchen window is popping in places. Not sure if it could be reacting with zinc strip (beneath this) around window. Any ideas on how to fix Thanks Karen

Window mount AC tripping circuit breaker [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a new air conditioner that is on it's own circuit. The breaker is new and rated at 15 amps. The air conditioner is supposed to use 15 amps at peak. I believe the wire to the outlet is rated at 15 amp. The air conditioner has it's own circuit breaker on the plug which has...

View more questions Search