Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheGuyg7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 06:45 AM
    Fraction question
    I understand the rules about adding fractions but I'm trying to visualize it and that's where the confusion sets in.

Say I have 1/4 + 1/4, sure if you follow the rules you end up with 2/4 or 50%, but what if you took the same problem and showed it with two pizzas with slices becoming the fraction.

You would get 2/8, two out of 8 slices that's been taken ,1 from each pizza with 6 slices remaining or 25% taken, so my question is are fraction set up to not allow comparison of two different fractions and instead comparison's are only allowed with two parts of the same whole?

Jul 2, 2012, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuyg7 View Post
    I understand the rules about adding fractions but i'm trying to visualize it and that's where the confusion sets in.

Say i have 1/4 + 1/4, sure if you follow the rules you end up with 2/4 or 50%, but what if you took the same problem and showed it with two pizzas with slices becoming the fraction.

You would get 2/8, two out of 8 slices that's been TAKEN ,1 from each pizza with 6 slices remaining or 25% TAKEN, so my question is are fraction set up to not allow comparison of two different fractions and instead comparison's are only allowed with two parts of the same whole?
    Oh... what I mean't by TAKEN was not by subtraction but adding it to my plate and my plate is the sum which is 25% of both pizzas, this only leaves 6 slices remaining.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 09:34 PM
    Do you mean that the fractions you need to compare must have the same denominator?

Jul 3, 2012, 01:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Do you mean that the fractions you need to compare must have the same denominator?
    Yea, having the same denominator doesn't take into account of all the slices but instead just adds numerators to equal a whole.

2/4 + 2/4 = 4/4 so all that you are doing in fractions is just adding the numerator's to create a whole but in real life you wouldn't forget what you left behind and not show it into your answer, E.G 4 slices were left behind and 4 slices were added to a new whole, so I'm just suppose to forget about the 4 slices left behind and just focus on the answer?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 08:13 AM
    If I understand your example, you have two pizzas that are each cut into 8 slices - for 16 slices total. You take 2 slices from each, leaving 6 slices each. So on your plate you now have 4 slices, which are 4/16 = 1/4 of whole, and in the pizza bixes you have a total of 12 slices remaining, or 12/16 = 3/4 of the whole. Interestingly each box individually has remaining 6/8 = 3/4 of what they started with.

Now suppose you had taken 3 slices from one pizza and 1 slice from the other. You still have taken 1/4 of the whole, leaving 3/4 left. But one pizza box has 5 slices (5/8) and the other has 7 slices (7/8). Altogether you have 12/16 = 3/4 left in the boxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Math Fraction Question [ 5 Answers ]

How Do You Solve This Math Fraction Question 2 3/4 , 4 5/6 , 1 3/8 ?

What is fraction [ 2 Answers ]

Like what to do infractions

How to do this fraction [ 2 Answers ]

Express 3/8 in thirty-seconds.

Fraction [ 3 Answers ]

Guysssss I really fave problem in fraction I really hate it but I don't get it, and I'm good in the other topic in math ecept this one what can I do

View more questions Search