Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mower dude Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 04:14 PM
    My mower blew a rod
    I have a crafstman rider that I got running but I forgott to check the oil on it and the rod or something broke inside the motor before I tear it apart I want to see if I should spend the money to fix and if I could buy a used one or something
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 1, 2007, 04:31 PM
    I think you do not have anything to loose by tearing it apart, but I don't think it will do any good. When a engine is run without oil it will damage engine block as well.

Look on your local free classifieds for a good used engine but be sure and make sure it is close to the same configuration so you do not have to modify cables and controls. And most importantly shaft diameter (probably 1 inch)
    Don
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2007, 05:24 PM
    I would agree, if the engine had no oil and was started it probably seized and will never run again. The pistons most likely fused to the cylinders.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2007, 02:32 AM
    Mmmm, if it was run long enough for the rod to break... good chance if its not a cast iron sleeved engine, the piston is stuck in the bore... piston fried, bore fried, rings shot, upper bearing scored, lower bearing scored, crank scored.. most of the time your better off getting a new mower, or new engine...
    kenmist33 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mower dude
    i have a crafstman rider that i got running but i forgott to check the oil on it and the rod or something broke inside the motor before i tear it apart i want to see if i should spend the money to fix and if i could buy a used one or something
    I had the same problem with a Murray Lawn Tractor. I was able to find a Tecumseh engine that matched the "dead" engine and am in the process of installing the new engine. My Murray had a 12.5 HP engine and I bought in 1995 for about $700, then added the attachment to catch the grass for another $200. I have looked around and lawn tractors are very expensive $1000 and up, so I purchased the new engine for less that $300. It made sense to me! Good Luck!
    kenmist33

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The driver blew a ZERO and the COP MADE ME BLOW! [ 1 Answers ]

I go to school in Indiana. I was out drinking the other night with some friends and we got a sober driver to take us home from a fraternity. The car was speeding and was pulled over for going 11 over the speed limit. No one in the car was 21 but everyone in the car had been drinking except for the...

Blew something? [ 2 Answers ]

So here's my situation. I needed to change a regular electrical outlet and then a dimmer switch to a regular flicker switch. The outlet went beautfully. White wire and black wire and grounding wire all hooked up nicely and it worked! I was very proud of myself until I screwed the dimmer change up....

Kitchen Sink Sprayer blew off [ 5 Answers ]

HELP - I have the sprayer hose in my hand, I read out the diverter thing, if I put my finger over where the sprayer goes water will come out of the spout. I sprayer coupling appears to be still attached under the sink. Can I get help with a quick fix? I can't get it off, any suggestions to how I...

A-Rod [ 1 Answers ]

Did a-rod get tradded back to the rangers??

View more questions Search