Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 1, 2012, 06:13 PM
    Possible Plant Allergies in Boxer Puppy
    HI there,

I have a four month old boxer mix puppy who's poor wittle face is getting swollen just about every other day. We just moved into this house and there is an ABUNDANCE of various types of plants in her backyard play haven. We think she is allergic to one of them and that's what is causing the allergy. We looked up possible plants that she might be allergic to. We already dug up the mint plant (I was sad about this). But she's worth it. The issue here is that we cannot afford the allergy test and we need to find out what is wrong.

Any suggestions? Our plan as of yet is to remove anything that might possibly be the cause. So we are basically demolishing our backyard oasis blindly. We are pretty plant illerate.

PLEASE PLEASE help us!!

For THIS face?

Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2012, 08:55 PM
    What makes you think it's an allergy? Dogs don't typically have allergy symptoms like we do. They get severely itchy skin and sneeze continuously.

Try Benedryl, just regular Benedryl with no other additive, and see if symptoms improve. It's 1mg per 1lb of body weight.

Like humans, even allergy tests aren't 100%. Your best bet would be to see if the Benedryl works or maybe see what you vet suggests.
    Vision Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    What makes you think it's an allergy? Dogs don't typically have allergy symptoms like we do. They get severely itchy skin and sneeze continuously.

Try Benedryl, just regular Benedryl with no other additive, and see if symptoms improve. It's 1mg per 1lb of body weight.

Like humans, even allergy tests aren't 100%. Your best bet would be to see if the Benedryl works or maybe see what you vet suggests.
    I think it's allergies because thi never happened until we moved here. There's a lot of plants in the backyard and she's there 6 hours between our shifts. When boyfriend comes home and she's been in the yard all day is when it's discovered. This never happened before moving here.

I don't want to treat it, we already use Benadryl to treat. I want to know how to prevent it. I'm looking for insight into possible plants. Or some sort of knowledge that can prevent this.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 08:23 AM
    Check with your vet about using Reactine as a preventative. My dog has allergies and he is on that as per the vet. We also have to wash his paws daily with a medicated shampoo to help. I am not sure on the exact reasoning but it had something to do with between his toes was not good. He also wears a doggy tee shirt when outside (again as per the vet) to help keep things off him. My vet thinks his are partly food allergies and contact allergies. We use a medicated vet shampoo for his weekly baths. I have noticed after the lawn has been mowed his feet get really red so we are looking for doggie boots that are not too hot for him.
    I did not go the route of allergy testing for Owen either as I was told it can be expensive and does not always diagnose the allergy. The only way to prevent it is to find out the actual source of allergy and get rid of it. Each dog is different so would be hard to know what one is for your dog and what one affects my dog.
    Vision Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 08:55 AM
    Thank you. May I ask how much reactine costs?
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 08:59 AM
    I can not remember as hubby buys it. I am in Canada so not sure where you are or if available. It is at drug stores and grocery stores here. To be sure you can use it ask your vet though as my dog is full grown and she told us how much of a dosage to give. A vet visit may be in order anyway as sometimes with allergies they get other bacteria or yeast. When Owen was first diagnosed he had to go on some antibiotics.
    Vision Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 11:11 AM
    Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2012, 11:19 AM
    Cute puppy - I don't have an answer for you but yesterday I asked someone if anyone has heard from you.

Good to see your name.
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2012, 11:22 AM
    Allergies aren't preventable... Even a drug that claims to "prevent" isn't really a prevention. It just helps block the allergen from doing anything in the body.
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2012, 11:30 AM
    Plus.. If your puppys face is swollen, doesn't too much matter from what, you should be talking to a vet, not us... That's pretty serious and the swelling has a potential to obstruct airways
    Vision Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Cute puppy - I don't have an answer for you but yesterday I asked someone if anyone has heard from you.

Good to see your name.
    Thanks. You too! :)
    Vision Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 01:35 PM
    Allergies aren't preventable... Even a drug that claims to "prevent" isn't really a prevention. It just helps block the allergen from doing anything in the body.
    Right. As long as she isn't in danger I'm happy.
    Vision Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 01:35 PM
    Plus.. If your puppys face is swollen, doesn't too much matter from what, you should be talking to a vet, not us... That's pretty serious and the swelling has a potential to obstruct airways
    It doesn't, I have and she has an appt on Friday.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boxer Puppy Vaginal Discharge [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I just adopted a boxer puppy yesterday and noticed today that she has a pale green discharge coming from her vagina. She seems in great spirits. She was recently spayed (Monday). Could this be a sign of infection or is this normal? Any and all advice is appreciated. **I...

Boxer puppy from a puppy store pooping in his crate [ 38 Answers ]

Like many previous posters I have encountered the problem of having a pet store puppy that seems to enjoy messing in his crate. We have done EVERYTHING we have been told to do about crate training. He is on a good feeding schedule (in his crate), we take him outside upon wakening, after feeding,...

My new boxer puppy has fleas and dawn isn't working [ 4 Answers ]

We have a 7 week old bober with fleas, now we all are gettig bit and finding fleas on our older dog. We use dawn daily and tried a flea spray for puppies. Not working any ideas??

Lethargic Puppy Boxer won't eat [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a puppy Boxer who is very lethargic and won't eat, He just want to sleep all day. What should I do

Puppy allergies [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me... my brother fed his 7 week old puppy a tbsp of yogurt a couple of hours ago,and she has been acting lethargic, hot and breathing heavy. He is currently at the Vet with her right now, but I am just wondering if you should even be giving a puppy yogurt or...

View more questions Search