Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttolbert Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2012, 06:48 PM
    At what age can I make a decision to live with my father if he gave up his prental ri
    My father gave up his parental rights to me and my brother when we were babies. We were adopted by my mother boyfriend. My mother and adoptive father are now divorced. I recently found out about my real father and I am 14. I want to see my father and so does my brother but our mother won't let us. Is there anything we can do? My real dad wants to see us too.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 30, 2012, 07:01 PM
    You have to wait until you are 18. Your bio father (not "real") has no rights to you. They were terminated with the adoption. In fact he can get in trouble by even being in contact with you against your mother's wishes.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 30, 2012, 07:02 PM
    When you turn 18 (the age of majority in most states- a year or two higher in two or three). Or, if you are in another country, the age of majority there.

Where are you, by-the-way? In all places that I was aware, step-parent adoption is only possible if the parent and the would-be adoptive parent are married. Or possibly you are mistaken and you were adopted after your mother married the "boyfriend".

Jun 30, 2012, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You have to wait until you are 18. Your bio father (not "real") has no rights to you. They were terminated with the adoption. In fact he can get in trouble by even being in contact with you against your mother's wishes.
    We contacted him not the other wayaround

Jun 30, 2012, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    When you turn 18 (the age of majority in most states- a year or two higher in two or three). Or, if you are in another country, the age of majority there.

Where are you, by-the-way? In all places that I was aware, step-parent adoption is only possible if the parent and the would-be adoptive parent are married. Or possibly you are mistaken and you were adopted after your mother married the "boyfriend".
    In Tennessee we really want to be in his life is there anything we can do now.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 30, 2012, 07:29 PM
    Doesn't matter that you contacted him. He can't accept the contact without your mother and legal father's permission.

So no, there is nothing you can do now except try to convince your mother to allow it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a child make a decision who to live with at 14 [ 4 Answers ]

We adopted a little girl (M) at age 4 and adopted her out to my cousin. We raised her for 9 years. The agreement was (under oath) that my cousin would maintain a relationship between the child and my family. She has just turned 14 and told me my cousin is trying to cut off all ties between us. ...

If my sons father never signed the Birth Certificate does he have prental rights? [ 1 Answers ]

My son is almost 18 months old. His father was in prison when he was born do to that fact he wasn't around to sign the birth certificate and not to mention we were never married. When he got out of prison he didn't say he wanted to sign the certificate so therefore he still isn't on the birth...

At what age leagally can my daughter aged 7 leave to live with her father [ 2 Answers ]

At what age can my daughter who is aged 7 leagally leave me her mum to live with her father

At what age can a child make the decision to change parents [ 11 Answers ]

I have a granddaughter that is 8 years old that has expressed numerous times that she wants to live with her father. We live in Georgia and were wondering at what age a child can make that decision so we can go before a judge to what decision would be made.

Child's age for place of living decision [ 1 Answers ]

At what age can a child decide at which relative's house he wants to live at, provided the home at which he wants to live is socially acceptable?

View more questions Search