Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayrwv Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2004, 09:00 PM
    Msg: Please check the signal cables
    The power supply on my computer is fried.. terrible smell, etc. I installed another power supply and the computer lights up and it shows activity on the Hard Drive but it never boots up. It just runs and runs. I get a message on the monitor to "check the signal cables" and nothing else... no booting routine at all. I have checked the cable from the monitor to the PC and it seems fine.
    Here is the only problem I had in installing the power supply. Originally on group of cables had a plug that went to the HD, a pigtail plug went to the floppy drive (I think) and another pigtail on to the cd-rom. On the new power supply there is no cable like that. But there are available cables with the right plugs, etc. So.. I took one cable to the HD. Another cable to the floppy disk and it had a pigtail plug that I plugged into the cdrom. I have checked all the plugs. All seems to be securely plugged-in. I have checked the ribbon connections and they seem fine. The video board is tight. I do not know how to proceed to troubleshoot this problem. Does anyone have an idea of how to proceed. Thank you.
    Jay
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 22, 2004, 10:20 PM
    And yet, there seems to be a problem with the ribbon cables. Recheck them.
    Can you do the auto-detect-IDE devices from the BIOS setup? (a power supply failure should not have changed them, but it may give you an indication of which device is troublesome)
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Dec 22, 2004, 10:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrwv
    I get a msg on the monitor to "check the signal cables" and nothing else...
    That is probably the monitor's message that it is not receiving a usable signal.

I hate to say it, but maybe when your power supply died its violent death, it took out some other components...

Then again,

You can try unplugging the hard drive, floppy, and friends to see if they are causing trouble. Eliminate possible causes...

Dec 23, 2004, 05:10 PM
    I am going to borrow a video card and see it that is my problem. I am at a loss for now.

Dec 23, 2004, 05:37 PM
    Borrow that video card - oh - and you might find out that your own video card is not firmly seated. You are not lost - yet.

Dec 23, 2004, 05:43 PM
    Thanks for your help. I did remove the video card and reinserted it. It seems to be seated OK.

Dec 23, 2004, 05:45 PM
    But what is the result?

Dec 23, 2004, 10:03 PM
    Sorry that I did not say that reinserting the video card made no difference. I assumed that was implied.. I should have answered more fully.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2004, 06:34 AM
    Fried power supply
    Hi,
    I am sorry to learn of this problem.
    However, you might be better off taking your computer to a local computer retail/repair store. They can check it with instruments, can also check your motherboard, which may have become damaged.
    It might save you a lot of time, rather than trying to troubleshoot yourself.
    Merry Christmas,
    fredg

Dec 24, 2004, 07:34 AM
    I think you are right. I will put in another video card on Sunday and try that. If that fails I will head for the computer repair guy. Thanks so much for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat 7 Vs Cat6 cables [ 3 Answers ]

I know the CAT 7 has performance better than CAT 6 cables. I know the connectors and priferal equipment of using with CAT 7 should be specially designed to to impair the cat 7 performace. But what problem may I face if I want usiong the Data cable cat 7 instead cat 6 cable in a system designed for...

Straight through v.s. Reverse cables [ 4 Answers ]

When making a telephone line cord, the sequence of wires is reversed - e.g. yellow to the right side of an RJ-11 at one end, to the left side at the other end. Is this arrangement called "straight through"? I am making a batch of RJ-11, 4 conductor cords that will connect a computer to a...

Please Check Signal Cable [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys, I'm new here... I got a problem with my old PC. Suddenly that word appear on my monitor... I can see the power led, also cd led... but not harddisk... I already replace video card and relocate RAM.. also use another monitor.. still got the same problem... Don't u think my...

Cables in wall and house insulation [ 3 Answers ]

I believe the code forbids running cables so that they Are in contract with each other. If you pass through A beam, I believe they allow 24 inches of contact. How many cables can go through each hole and How big must a hole be? What is the allowable method of running several Cables...

Rca cables in cd player/amp [ 1 Answers ]

Well I think I have a good reason why my amp tweeters do not work, they are hooked into the channel 3/4 ports, well my amp is hooked to my cd playere with only 2 rca cables which allows me two channels, I want 4 channels so is there a way I can get another set of rca cables coming from my cd player...

View more questions Search