Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilsuz84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Can I be pregnant on the Depo shot?
    I got the shot seven weeks after I gave birth to my son, and I just started getting nauseous and my breasts have been hurting, but the nurse said that a regular urine test would pick up me being pregnant. Now it is almost five months from when I gave birth and I can feel something like gas bubbles inside me. Would a blood test help me determine if I am pregnant? And if I am, is the depo shot going to hurt the baby?
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2007, 12:20 PM
    It is definitely possible to get preggy on the shot. Its rare, but it is possible. No birth control is ever 100% effective. Its hard to determine pregnancy when on the shot, as one of the side effects of the shot is no periods. A blood test would DEFINITELY be advisable in your situation. I would also suggest getting an exam from your ob/gyn. They can do an exam and look for more determining factors of pregnancy. Definitely don't take another shot until you know for sure whether you are pregnant or not. The shot is still new enough that they don't know all the side effects on an unexpected pregnancy. Its something you'll have to ask your doctor about. For now, just try to find out if you are or not, then come to those hard questions when and if you need to. Good luck!
    lilsuz84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by buggage
    It is definitely possible to get preggy on the shot. its rare, but it is possible. no birth control is ever 100% effective. Its hard to determine pregnancy when on the shot, as one of the side effects of the shot is no periods. A blood test would DEFINITELY be advisable in your situation. I would also suggest getting an exam from your ob/gyn. they can do an exam and look for more determining factors of pregnancy. Definitely don't take another shot until you know for sure whether you are pregnant or not. The shot is still new enough that they dont know all the side effects on an unexpected pregnancy. Its something you'll have to ask your doctor about. For now, just try to find out if you are or not, then come to those hard questions when and if you need to. Good luck!
    Yikes. The nurse advised me to get the shot, and told me it was impossible that I could be pregnant. Is the shot effective immediately, or is that something else the nurses and doctors didn't tell me about?
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Usually they try to schedule you a few days to a week before they consider it to be worn off. However, if you get the shot a bit late, then it is advised that you use a condom for the first few days after the shot. (like when you get your first shot, they suggest you use some kind of protection the first few days, so that it has sufficient time to get into the system) I had nurses and even my doctor suggest that I use the shot (after I gave birth to my first son) and they said that it was the best choice sinc eI was breastfeeding. They told me that the bone density loss wasn't something I had to worry about from the shot until I had been using it for several years and at that point Iwould just have to start taking calcium supplements. However, after only being on the shot for two rounds, I got on the pill instead of taking my third shot. Ididnt like that I was having so many annoying and painful symptoms(abdomen pains, nausea, headaches, always feeling down and sick, basically constant bleeding and spotting. etc. all stuff that I wasn't told about when starting the shot.) It wasn't until a few months later that I went to buy a pair of shoes, and realized that my regular size no longer fit me. I lost a full shoe size. I had my husband measure my height when I got home, and had lost half an inch off my height too. All from being on the shot for only two rounds. (it also took me 18 months to conceive our second son after that)SOOO, you can't always go on just what the docs/nurses tell you. Now, this doesn't happen to everyone, some people have no problems with the shot at all, even after being on it for years. All I am trying to say is to listen to your body, and if you have any questions or concerns, don't take another shot until you have gotten those questions and concerns answered to your full approval. It is your body, and if you are preggy, it is your child's body. So don't feel uneasy about pressing for clear answers. Good luck. Hope you can get a blood test soon to sort this whole thing out.
    ghost56 Posts: 283, Reputation: 26

Mar 5, 2007, 11:43 AM
    You have to remember, that no birth control is 100% safe, there is always a possibility of pregnancy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depo Shot [ 18 Answers ]

I just started the depo shot about 5 days ago... so far all I have heard about it is horror stories... I am glad to report that so far I haven't had any side affects... only a little more sensitive... but then again it hasn't even been a week yet... I kind of just got on it with out asking any...

How is too long to take the Depo Shot? [ 8 Answers ]

I have been taking the Depo shot for nearly six years and am wondering if this is too long. My gyno is going to check it out, but I wanted to know before April 2007. If anyone knows, I would appreciate you letting me know. Thanks in advance! I have read some horror stories that really scare me. I...

Could this be caused by the Depo shot? [ 2 Answers ]

Can somebody help me? I got the Depo shot for the first time in November for the first time. Since about a month after I have had nothing but problems like I have been bleeding more regular than usual menstrual periods last, itchiness down there, burns to pea, back pain, my breasts have been...

Depo shot [ 1 Answers ]

I need help what's the side effects of getting off the depo shot I've been on it for 6 months and never got back on it but I haven't got my period since is this bad and plus my breast has been hurting a swelling is this part of the symptoms of getting off it so soon. I got off the depo shot because...

The depo birthcontrol shot [ 2 Answers ]

I've been on the depo shot for six months and I was suppose to go back sept 29,2006 for my third shot but I did not go on the 29th when my shot was due I had cramps in my lower stomach area and I was bleeding but not heavy I'm I trying to start my periode so soon or what.:eek:

View more questions Search