Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcelt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Estimated Tax
    I have a question regarding the Estimated Tax. My income did not changed a lot from last year, but now after I completed the filling and printed the forms I noticed that I have four vouchers for estimated tax and one for my owed tax. So I have to pay $1415 the amount I owe (from 1040 line 76) and the estimated taxes? It shows that I have four payments of $351. It is correct or I did something wrong on my filling? What’s happening if I don’t make these payments? Just a note, last year I owed and paid $1667.

Thank you for your advice,

Marcel
    heather83 Posts: 92, Reputation: 4

Mar 1, 2007, 12:37 PM
    You may want to check on your federal/state withholding. If it's not a good enough percentage of your income, you may be having to pay them the difference. If that's what it is, you can have it changed to be with held at a higher rate, so that hopefully next year you won't have to pay back so much. That's the problem I had last year, and I had the state pull out more money this year, and I actually had a refund. Other than that, I couldn't tell you--but you could always go consult with a tax guy-they should know.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2007, 12:02 PM
    The tax software automatically produces quarterly statements if you have to pay over $1,000.

If you check, you will see that you are paying an under-withholding penalty. Making the quarterly payments allows you to avoud this penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Paycheck without Tax Withholding, how can I pay the tax? (Chinese F1 student on CPT) [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently doing an intern holding F-1 visa and on CPT in New York state. My employer didn’t withhold any tax from my paycheck. She said I am treated as an independent contractor. My income in the CPT period will be $4800, according to 1040-ES (NR), the tax will be $4800*10%=480, which is...

Foreign Tax Deductions Against MD State Tax Liability [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in London for 8 months out of the year. I worked in Maryland the other 4 months. I know how to use foreign tax credits on my federal and social security liabilities. Is there any way to use foreign tax credits against my Maryland State and Local Tax liability? These taxes are for...

Can I get Tax benefits if my husband show as her spouse was on H4 during tax exemptio [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My details: Name- deepti Status- married Visa- h4 My husband went to US from India on January 1 2007. I have also joined him. I am eager to know , will we able to get tax exemtions if he mention me as dependent . Our stay in US is till August 2007. Can we get some tax benefits.

Independent Contractor Estimated Tax Payments [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this forum and is in need of some advice and information. The company I used to work for, has now hired me as a Independent Contractor. I've provided them with a W9 Form so they can pay be as a vendor. However, I'm not sure if I need to pay Estimated Taxes each quarter to...

View more questions Search