Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DonnaKay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2004, 07:48 AM
    Dangers of sewer pipe being unvented
    We have recently discovered not only mold growing throughout our house but upon further investigating found the gas dryer to be unvented releasing not only moisture and carbon monoxide under the house but its also a fire hazard. After hiring a home inspecter, we found a sewer pipe that is vented into the attic and not through the roof. We are currently renting this house and we are planning on moving (without our personal property until it can be cleaned) tomorrow to a friends house.

Please let us know how dangerous the sewer pipe is.

Thanks,
    Donna
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 22, 2004, 03:56 PM
    Open outlet to Sewer
    Hi Donna,

Sewer gas is not only a health hazard but the methane gas in it is also explosive.
    Yeah! I'd call that dangerious. Have your landlord have it repaired and to count himself lucky that you're not suing the socks off him for exposing you and your family to a major health hazard. Would wishing you a happy holiday be in order? Regards, Tom
    DonnaKay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2004, 09:03 PM
    RE: dangers of sewer pipe being unvented
    Well, speedball1... wishing me a happy holiday is not exactly the best timing... lol but thanks anyway. We had a certified plumber check out the so called sewer pipe today... he found not one but three that is venting into the attic... if that wasn't enough... the sewer gas is also coming up through where the washer is in my daughters bedroom. If that wasn't enough... the gas dryer never was vented from under the house. I found out that not only is that a fire hazard... but it is releasing carbon monoxide under that house. Also it has been putting moisture under the house which by the way has caused the mold... oh did I forget to tell you about the mold?? Upon inspection of the mold is where we found the sewer pipes and unvented gas dryer. Ok... back to the certified plumber... he also... get this... found a sewer pipe under our bedroom with raw sewage being spilled under the house!! The homeowner had planned on adding another bathroom... didnt finish it and decided to just leave the sewer pipe wide open to release raw sewage!! We have found a house that someone was gracious enough to let us use so we move tomorrow. So... with that... my family will be safe, I will be safe... and yes... I will have a very happy holiday!

Take care and thanks for responding.
    Donna

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

Sewer hook up [ 4 Answers ]

I am presently on a septic system. Thanks to a new housing development I now have a sewer line 45 feet from the house. I got the permit and have taken care of the impact fees. I know there is a min. slope when installing sewer drain but I was wandering if you can have too much slope. With my house...

Sewer smell [ 2 Answers ]

Oh Lord, I live in a 3 family home and I have there are 9 persons living in the home. (5 are tenants) and my family 4) anyway, lately, I have been smelling a sewerage smell... I am so embarrassed. I don't think I have a septic tank... we live in the bronx, ny... brick home. I read that I can...

Unvented J Trap [ 2 Answers ]

A rental property inspector recently wrote up this item that needs to be corrected: Replace the unvented J-trap under the bathroom hand lavatory. Background: I am the property owner and had this sink installed by my plumber less than a year ago. Prior to the installation the bathroom had no...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search