Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtaylo3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 10:26 AM
    What is the highest temperature a computer can withstand without causing damage
    What tempeture is too hot for electronic's before they become damaged?

I have enclosed room that houses a computer, printer and television (LCD). The weather is getting really hot (it's 103 outside) causing the room to be uncomfortabley hot, as it does not have an air conditioner. I have a ceiling fan and floor fan blowing, but it is still hot. What tempeture is too hot?
    techyback Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2012, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dtaylo3 View Post
    What tempeture is too hot for electronic's before they become damaged?

I have enclosed room that houses a computer, printer and television (LCD). The weather is getting really hot (it's 103 outside) causing the room to be uncomfortabley hot, as it does not have an air conditioner. I have a ceiling fan and floor fan blowing, but it is still hot. What tempeture is too hot?
    Different Desktops/Laptops are going to have their own thresholds regarding temperature. But you're right to keep it in mind, as heat is never the friend of electronics (but neither is ice of course!).

I would say that 140° F is a comfortable average for most PC components, with the hottest parts being of course your CPU, your video card your hard drive and your RAM.

I've known components to regularly run in an 176° F environment for prolonged periods and still be fine, but I wouldn't recommend this. Components will start to fail around those sort of temperatures and the life of your CPU etc can be significantly shortened and you may experience hang ups or freezing more regularly.

If you're nervous about it, just ensure that your PC/Laptop has good airflow and that the vents and internal fans are clean and clear and try and limit your use of all electronic devices (I.e. no 24 hour gaming sessions!) :D

Hope this helps!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 29, 2012, 02:09 PM
    Modern computers are equipped with a thermal shutdown which kicks in before any damage can be caused due to excessive heat.
    I have had my servers thermal on me when the rooms aircon failed..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Temperature changes causing bowel movements [ 1 Answers ]

Extreme temperature changes cause sudden bowel movements for me. It's horrible. Hot to cold or cold to hot. Inside to outside. I all of a sudden have to go, my stomach cramps up. What could it be?

Neighbor's kids causing damage and trespassing in my yard [ 11 Answers ]

For about the last year, my neighbor's kids and their friends have been playing in our yard, hitting our home over and over with their toys and causing damage to one of our trees, a young maple tree, by breaking off the branches. I didn't say much when it first started happening because I didn't...

Maple Tree Roots causing damage [ 1 Answers ]

There are two maple trees about 35 feet from the front of my house. Their roots spread all the way to the front of my house and are in my flower beds, stealing water and choking the flowers. The beds extend about 3 feet from the house. In addition the roots may be damaging and causing leaks in...

Generator causing appliance damage [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 5500 watt generator and have a reliance switching system setup with 8 switches. When I hook up my generator to my house, it blows out ceiling fans, lights and bathroom fans. The lights are extremely bright. I am getting way too much power. This does not happen if I plug directly...

Humidity causing damage to drywall ceiling? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I live in NC and have been having a problem with the discoloration and some slight hairline cracking on the ceiling of our garage. During the summer it is extremely humid in the garage and I have noticed there are a couple of long thin strips on the celing that are slightly discolored...

View more questions Search