Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Barbie Higgins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 06:54 AM
    Help Me Solve a Riddle
    I borrow 50. From each of my parents = 100.00 to buy a shirt for 97.00 I get 3.00 back. I give one to each parent. Now owe each parent 49.00. Keep one for myself. But... 49+49=98+1=99. Where is the other dollar?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 29, 2012, 07:02 AM
    The "trick" here is to realize that you're adding when you should be subtracting. He owes his parents 2 x $49 = $98, representing the $97 shirt plus the $1 he kept. So instead of saying that $98+1 = $99, he should have said that $98-$1 = $97 (the value of the shirt).

This is a variation on the old riddle about the three guys who split the cost of a hotel room 3 ways - the room is $30 so the each pay $10. Then the manager realizes he's over-charged them by $5 so he sends the bellhop up to the room with the $5 to refund them. But the bellhop only gives them $3 and pockets the other $2. So that means it cost each of them paid $9, and the bellhop kept $2 - but $27 + $2 = $29, so where's the other dollar?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solve a riddle for me? [ 1 Answers ]

I see all but only those that look above see me I am stone but rarely alone for I am perched high above mortals but was created by them I

Please help me solve my riddle! [ 3 Answers ]

I act my part from finish to start. My fate in hand from sea to shining sea. Here is the hint I was provided: __ __ __ __ __ __ S__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ S__ __ __ __ __ __ __ S__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ S__.

Solve this riddle [ 8 Answers ]

This riddle has me beat, I have no idea what the answer is, so I ask that you guys pleasssssssse help me! Here's the riddle: From corner to corner, I can be found covered in darkness. Yet my little green body will not be entirely consumed by the blackness. What am I?

Solve Riddle [ 2 Answers ]

What is greater God; More evil than the devil; The poor have it; The rich need it; And if you eat it, you will die.

View more questions Search