Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blueheart77 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 08:55 PM
    I work as a per diem diagnostic imaging tech in a hospital. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of and don't know what to do. I don't know if what I feel is legitimate or if I'm not perceiving things appropriately.

Ive been working for a year and a half, tried as best as I could to develop friendly positive relationships with the decision makers in my department. Ive been given a lot of hours over that time, I'd say if you averaged my hours I am there, numerically, at least 3 days a week. Ive gone above and beyond to make myself available so that I could be given as many hours as possible because I do have two small children and as well as a demonstration to my supervisor that Im dedicated and committed to being a permanent member of the department.

Problem is since I was hired a full time position and a part time position opened up (months apart) and I wasn't considered for either one. The full time position was offered to another per diem hired after me and later on a part time created was offered to a former full time employee who resigned yet remained as a rarely working/inactive per diem for several years.

We are part of New York State 1199 union. For the first case I was told there is no seniority amongst per diems and for the second case the inactive per diem had seniority accrued from when they were full-time.

This is where Im at now. The full timer was fired then the position was closed. The part timer was recently promoted to full time (another full timer vacated that spot) which leaves their part time vacant and I would be the only one who could be offered the part time. Its been over a month now and when I asked my supervisor when the part time will be offered to me I am told that they haven't gotten around to put in the paperwork for that position (it has to get approved by the vp) and that there is no definite answer because it is awaiting approval. I am still being scheduled to fill in the vacant part time slot (weekends and weekdays).

This situation doesn't feel right to me, I feel like management is playing games. It seems like, despite how much I made it clear from the beginning that I need a permanent position (per diems have to pay union dues but no benefits), Im being tested to work filling in that hole in the schedule as a per diem but without the benefits of a part time.

All I wanted was a permanent position for security for my family. Working as a per diem is difficult because of the unpredictable schedule. They don't care. Sometimes Im scheduled only 2-3 days for a pay period then Im working 6 days a week (including weekends-which was originally the part time shift). I don't get overtime when that happens because the 6th day is always the 1st day in the new pay period.
    Im tired at timesfor working so much but I'm afraid to say no I won't work that part time shift because Im afraid the manager will retaliate (she can be slyly vindictive) by simply reducing my hours (she would be within her rights) and they might use it against me by pointing out if I'm not willing to be "available" on the weekends (while we are so called waiting for the part time position to be approved) then how can I be relaible to fulfill the part time shift, as it is on weekends.

My thing is, as long as I have that gut feeling they are stalling because they want to get away with having a per diem work weekends (they save $) I want to stand up and refuse to work weekends as a per diem. I want to put my foot down and tell her when you post the part-time position and offer it to me officially then I will work weekends. I want to say this but Im afraid. Im single with 2 small children and this is right now my only source of income.

I work as a per diem diagnostic imaging tech in a hospital. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of and don't know what to do. I don't know if what I feel is legitimate or if I'm not perceiving things appropriately.

Ive been working for a year and a half, tried as best as I could to develop friendly positive relationships with the decision makers in my department. Ive been given a lot of hours over that time, I'd say if you averaged my hours I am there, numerically, at least 3 days a week. Ive gone above and beyond to make myself available so that I could be given as many hours as possible because I do have two small children and as well as a demonstration to my supervisor that Im dedicated and committed to being a permanent member of the department.

Problem is since I was hired a full time position and a part time position opened up (months apart) and I wasn't considered for either one. The full time position was offered to another per diem hired after me and later on a part time created was offered to a former full time employee who resigned yet remained as a rarely working/inactive per diem for several years.

We are part of New York State 1199 union. For the first case I was told there is no seniority amongst per diems and for the second case the inactive per diem had seniority accrued from when they were full-time.

This is where Im at now. The full timer was fired then the position was closed. The part timer was recently promoted to full time (another full timer vacated that spot) which leaves their part time vacant and I would be the only one who could be offered the part time. Its been over a month now and when I asked my supervisor when the part time will be offered to me I am told that they haven't gotten around to put in the paperwork for that position (it has to get approved by the vp) and that there is no definite answer because it is awaiting approval. I am still being scheduled to fill in the vacant part time slot (weekends and weekdays).

This situation doesn't feel right to me, I feel like management is playing games. It seems like, despite how much I made it clear from the beginning that I need a permanent position (per diems have to pay union dues but no benefits), Im being tested to work filling in that hole in the schedule as a per diem but without the benefits of a part time.

All I wanted was a permanent position for security for my family. Working as a per diem is difficult because of the unpredictable schedule. They don't care. Sometimes Im scheduled only 2-3 days for a pay period then Im working 6 days a week (including weekends-which was originally the part time shift). I don't get overtime when that happens because the 6th day is always the 1st day in the new pay period.
    Im tired at timesfor working so much but I'm afraid to say no I won't work that part time shift because Im afraid the manager will retaliate (she can be slyly vindictive) by simply reducing my hours (she would be within her rights) and they might use it against me by pointing out if I'm not willing to be "available" on the weekends (while we are so called waiting for the part time position to be approved) then how can I be relaible to fulfill the part time shift, as it is on weekends.

My thing is, as long as I have that gut feeling they are stalling because they want to get away with having a per diem work weekends (they save $) I want to stand up and refuse to work weekends as a per diem. I want to put my foot down and tell her when you post the part-time position and offer it to me officially then I will work weekends. I want to say this but Im afraid. Im single with 2 small children and this is right now my only source of income.

Check out some similar questions!

Did He Take Advantage Of Me? [ 5 Answers ]

I met this guy at the beginning of the summer. He was 24, I'm 19. We hit it off right when we met. He took it very slowly, never tried to have sex or anything like that. We spent a lot of time together. He turned 25, and a week after his birthday he asked me to be his girlfriend. Things just...

Being Taken Advantage of. [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here are the details: I live in the state of Florida. My boss is the OWNER of the company I work for and they're both terrible. When I was hired I was told that my weekly salary was a SET salary- I signed a paper saying that I made X amount of dollars per week. I was also told that my...

Taken advantage off. [ 3 Answers ]

My friend has been taking advantage of me for awhile, but recently he owed me $60 because I bought him $20 worth of gas, paid for his dinner $10, spent 5 hours replacing his front bumper $30 (was going to charge him $60 there was a lot of extra cosmetic work that had to be done), and bought him a...

Taken advantage of [ 7 Answers ]

I am a bisexual female, and I have many problems but one of the most frequent and hurtful problems is that I am always getting taken advantage of by guys. I like talking, I like experimenting, I like being different and actually listening to what they have to say, and so far that hasn't worked for...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.