Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ibrahimmohsun91 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 06:12 PM
    Ask about computers
    Hi.. I am planning to get new PC and about the video card.. I am hesitating to get nvidia or ati?. for the video card my price range is 200$ and good to know that I live in iraq so it's hot here,it may reach 45c.. also I wanted the card mostly for games... according to this what do you suggest for me to do? what are the models you may suggest for me keeping in mind we here have ati 6850 for 200$?
    techyback Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2012, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ibrahimmohsun91 View Post
    Hi..I am planning to get new pc and about the video card..I am hesitating to get nvidia or ati??..for the video card my price range is 200$ and good to know that i live in iraq so it's hot here,it may reach 45c..also I wanted the card mostly for games...according to this what do you suggest for me to do??what are the models you may suggest for me keeping in mind we here have ati 6850 for 200$??
    Both Nvidia and Ati are, in my opinion, much the same in build quality and relability. You will get 'fan boys' from both camps that will say Nvidia is better than Ati and that Ati is better than Nvidia, but really, I've never seen a difference (I've had a lot of cards from both manufacturers).

Living in Iraq isn't going to help internal temperatures no matter what you go for, but so long as you do your part to ensure the PC is kept dust/debris free and that the system has good airflow, hopefully you will be fine. If not, then either invest in liquid cooling for the PC, or AirCon for the room (but that's all a bit extreme and costly).

Regarding price/performance, just do as you've said, set a budget and stick to it as best you can. Sometimes though, spending an extra few dollars can make a lot of difference, so before you do settle on a card, see what the 'next' step up would be, it might be more obtainable than you think!

Video cards are a nightmare to compare because there are so many flavours of them. I always look at what's available for my budget first, then look at reviews for each specific card and then compare them as best I can before committing myself to a purchase.

But seriously, so long as your card is compatible with your motherboard, don't worry so much about whether its Ati or Nvidia. Either one should serve you well (just watch for your system/ambient temperatures!).

Best of luck! :)

Jun 29, 2012, 02:02 PM
    Thanks techyback... if anyone has any to add or suggest then I am (looking and waiting) for that..
    joecoolvette Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Jul 6, 2012, 01:12 PM
    I have suggestions (!O_O!)
    I'm sure just about every computer geek does! Lol!

I agree that it doesn't matter what major G.P.U. manufacturer you select, for the graphics/video card. I do know however, that ATI graphics cards tend to use less power.
    (I'm a fan of Nvidia, AND ATI)

Things you need to know before buying;

1) What is the maximum Wattage your Power Supply is rated at?
    Has to have the minimum required Wattage, in order to support the graphics card, AND the rest of the computer.
    (Processor, RAM, Motherboard, Optical drive/s, Fans, etc)

Yes,. depends on how old it is, also.

In the past Power Supply manufacturers were 'fudging' the actual maximum rated Wattage.
    (Passed the info on to the pre-built computer manufacturers also, so they really didn't know)
    {OR didn't CARE?? }

Power supply's that were rated at a maximum Wattage rating, of say 250 Watts, were in actuality only 60 to 70 percent of what was stated. 150 Watts to 175 Watts respectively.

2) What is the Amperage rating of the 12 Volt power rail?
    (If the Power Supply has more than one 12 Volt power rail, you can combine the Amp's of the rails, to come out with the total 12 Volt power rail amperage )

3) What graphics card expansion slot is on the motherboard?
    Only a white long PCI slot?
    An AGP slot?
    A PCI Express x16 slot?

I see you posted an ATI Radeon 6850 graphics card. Am I to assume your motherboard has a PCI Express x16 expansion slot?
    (Didn't post computer manufacturer, model name, and model number; Or, motherboard manufacturer name, and model number)

Before I go further;
    If you have a PCI Express x16 slot on your motherboard;

There were technology changes for PCI Express. (Versions)
    Not including all the changes, just the main ones:
    A) PCI Express 1.0
    B) PCI Express 1.1
    C) PCI Express 2.0
    D) PCI Express 2.1
    E) PCI Express 3.0

PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People are concerned that a PCI Express 2.0 graphics card, will not work on a motherboard, based on the PCI Express 1.1 technology.

It will work.

Why?
    Because PCI Express 2.0 technology is Backward Compatible, with PCI Express 1.1 technology.
    { MAY not work on some motherboards with the PCI Express 1.0 technology.
    That is, some graphics cards would not work, on a motherboard based on the PCI Express 1.0 technology.
    That is one reason PCI Express 1.1 was brought out }

PCI Express 1.1 has a transfer frequency rate of 2.5 GigaTransfers per Second. (2.5 GT/s)
    Also has a PER Lane rate of 250MegaBytes per Second. (250MB/s)

PCI Express 2.0 has a transfer frequency rate of 5.0GT/s.
    Per lane rate of 500MB/s.

This means you will not get the full capability of the PCI Express 2.0 graphics card.
    Will you notice?

I DOUBT it. Why?
    Because In my opinion we haven't reached the full data rate capabilities of the PCI Express 1.1 technology, yet.

To go on...

Jul 6, 2012, 02:33 PM
    Graphics card, (Video card. Same/same), manufacturers rate the required Wattage needed from the Power Supply, by using a computer with the top of the line hardware components.

Gamer type motherboard, maximum allowable RAM amount, quad core processor, 2 or more Optical drives, (CD/DVD drive), several fans... you name it.

Truth is I do not believe there is a graphics card out there, that uses more than 150 Watts, by itself.

The rest if the required Wattage stated by the graphics card manufacturer, is noted for the rest of the computer.

Have a fairly new 500 Watt power supply? Then rest easy knowing you have enough power for a powerful graphics card. Using two graphics cards in an SLI or CrossFire configuration?
    Then you should use a Power Supply Wattage Calculator.

One such example,

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator (Takes a few seconds to fully load)

Recommendations?
    I base it on the 'Best buy for the Buck' theory.
    Not on a shiny red bike theory. See through the 'Glitter', and make a choice using deductive reasoning based on intelligent thought.

{Yes. In otherwords I guess! NOT! Lol! }

1) MSI N560GTXTwinFrozrII/OC GeForce GTX 560 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI-I, Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready, Overclocked at TigerDirect.com

Maximum screen resolution is 2560 x 1600. That is a 30 inch widescreen monitor.

Graphics memory type is GDDR5, and 1GB of it.
    Memory Interface is 256-bit
    Core Clock is 870Megahertz frequency rate
    Memory Clock is 4080MHz
    Shader Clock is 1900MHz
    STREAM Processors = 336

Means you can see the characters S-W-E-A-T on a 30 inch widescreen monitor.
    (Or dual monitors. Think of what the graphics is for a smaller monitor)

Two DVI connectors and one Mini-HDMI connector.
    Based on the PCI Express 2.0 technology. Minimum requirement is a 450 Watt power supply. Uses TWO fans. Direct X 11 support. OpenGL 4.1 support.

[NOTE*
    NO.
    It does NOT matter if your computer is using RAM that is DDR, DDR2, or DDR3, and the graphics card has a higher technology of graphics memory.
    (GDDR2, GDDR3, GDDR4, GDDR5)

The graphics card has it's own processor (G.P.U.), and graphics memory.
    Runs independent of the system's resources.
    {Processor and Ram Memory]

2) MSI R7770-2PMD1GD5/OC Radeon HD 7770 Video Card - 1024MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), 1x DVI, 2x Mini DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, CrossFireX Ready, Eyefinity, Overclocked at TigerDirect.com

Maximum screen resolution is 2560 x 1600
    GDDR5 graphics memory and 1GB of it.
    Memory Interface is 128 bit
    Core Clock is 1020MHz
    Memory Clock is 4500MHz
    Shader Clock is 1900MHz
    Stream Processors = 640

[NOTE*
    NO, you cannot compare stream processor technology, of Nvidia to ATI, and vice-versa. They are rated differently ]

Minimum required Power Supply wattage is 600 Watts.
    {B-lows the theory about using less power, huh? }

Has one DVI connector, One HDMI connector, and two Mini-Display connectors.
    Based on the PCI Express 3.0 technology.

NOTE*
    From what I have gathered in the last few months, is that a motherboard based on the PCI Express 1.1 technology, has problems running a graphics card based on the PCI Express 2.1 technology. Don't stamp it in stone, I can error.

PCI Express 3.0 technology is supposed to be an upgrade, to PCI Express 2.1 technology.
    (Actually when it was coming out, upgrade to PCI Express 2.0, was the thought)

The above ATI based graphics card, that is based on the PCI Express 3.0 technology, may NOT work on a motherboard based on the PCI Express 1.1 technology.

Just my thoughts.

$200 bucks for an -> ATI Radeon 3850?

R-E-A-L-L-Y? Sheesh!
    Somebodies making money!

Jul 6, 2012, 03:14 PM
    One last one then I'll go away;

Iraq?
    You will need to constantly clean out the inside of your computer, AND the inside of the Power Supply.
    How often?
    As often as it is required. Only you will know, as you are there, I'm not.
    (Yeah I know. "No Duh, joecoolvette")

Dust, dirt, lint(?), makes an electrical path. Both for Static electricity, and electrical power inside your computer.
    It also clogs the cooling components of the computer, and drops the cooling capacity tremendously.

After all, the hardware components inside the computer ARE cooled by air.

Your power supply's hardware is cooled by air also. Has an internal small fan, you can see from the back of it's case, and uses Heatsinks inside,

Switched-mode power supply - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Click on the photo to the upper right, of the exposed Switched-Mode Power Supply. (SMPS)

The shiny rectangular looking objects, that are in a column, and connected one above each other by a long flat piece of metal, are Heatsinks.
    (In-between B and C, plus C and D)

The shiny rectangular looking objects are actually aluminum fins, in a rectangular shape.
    If they get clogged, and the fan's blades, center hub, and shroud, get clogged; the cooling capacity of the Power Supply drops tremendously

The internal hardware components of the Power Supply overheat.
    Heat = Wasted energy
    The Power Supply strains to keep up with the call for power, but eventually cannot, and components inside the Power Supply fail. (Electrolytic Capacitors are usually the first to go)

Point? Keep the inside of the Power Supply clean. Folks tend to clean out the inside of a desktop computer, but forget about the Power Supply.

Use a can of compressed air for computers, and attach the plastic 'straw'.
    Power supply unplugged from power, start at one of the top ventilation holes, on the inside of the computer case, and spray air in a semi-downward fashion.

(Note*
    HOLD ONTO the straw with one hand, and the can of air with the other hand. The straw has a tendency to shoot off the nozzle, and land inside the Power Supply. This = No)

Keep going across the ventilation holes at top, then middle, then bottom.
    Come around to the back of the Power Supply, and use Q-tips on the area in-between the Fan's blades, and center hub. Also along the blade's surfaces, and especially the tips.

You are NOT trying to remove the 'Gunk', just stir it around so the compressed air can remove it. ('Break the crust')
    DO NOT spin the fan too fast, when using the can of compressed air. (And straw)
    The fan is only designed to spin so fast. Spinning it faster than it was designed for, can lead to premature failure of the fan's bearings.

(I would hate to be sitting in Iraq, waiting on a new Power Supply. Especially at those prices!
    {$200 bucks, huh?)

The motherboard is mounted to a Support Plate. The support plate can be a separate unit, or part of the computer case.
    People often forget that dust, dirt, hair, etc. can accumulate under the motherboard.

The motherboard has exposed solder joints on the bottom.
    See why it's a good idea to remove the motherboard once in a while, clean it, and the support plate area?

Post back if none of this gibberish made any sense, and you would like clarification.
    Or if you have any questions about the subject.

Regards,
    joecoolvette

Jul 9, 2012, 07:37 AM
    Oh.. oh.. oh... Hold on bro!. let me take some breath.. all that!
    I will give you my PC prescription and you give me your opinion...
    POWER SUPPLY Cooler Master GX 750W
    Case ATX
    MotherBoard Z77-G43 (will be changed into on from gigabyte.. please chose me one of these options (z77-d3h
    z77-ud3h
    z77-ud5)
    CPU CORE i5 3550 (may be I will change it into ic 7)
    Ram 8GB 1600MHZ
    video card :MSi GTX 560Ti (does it works well with gigabyte Mobo? )
    DVD Burner
    HDD WD 500Gb
    Are these pieces work well with each other? are there any changes you think will be better to put.. any suggestions?. I am hearing... But please,in any change.. take care to be near the price of the one I put here.. or change two pieces to stay near the whole balance.. thanks

Jul 9, 2012, 07:49 AM
    I meant "one from gigabyte"... Sorry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computers will be on 24/7 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I work for a transportation company and we are looking to buy 5 new computers. We will run a dispatcher software on all of them and they will connected to our server. The computer will be on 24 hours 7 days a week. Because our space is limited I was looking in to all in one computers but some...

Computers: what is an economic (and idiotproof)way of networking two home computers? [ 1 Answers ]

The prioncipal computer is Windows 7 model, and I wish to bring an older computer into the same operating status re broadband etc. What equipment and cabling is necessary?

Before Computers. [ 1 Answers ]

An application was for employment A program was a TV show A cursor used profanity A keyboard was a piano! Memory was something that you lost with age A CD was a bank account And a floppy disk was something Terribly wrong in your back.

View more questions Search