Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ctjazyblu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 05:43 PM
    Air conditioner runs constantly
    In April I purchased a new Lennox air conditioner. It's supposed to be 15 seer but the outside unit says 14 seer. When I questioned this I was told that the Elite attic unit functions as a 15 seer unit when combined with the outside unit. My house is 1452 square feet. I live in Texas and the temperature is between 95 and 105. After the repair man reset the unit so it would no longer shut off in the hottest part of the day (the first problem was thought to be condensation and water), the unit now runs constantly from about 11:00 in the morning to about 10:00 at night and will not go below 77 or 78 degrees. It runs constantly and it runs from three to five degrees higher than the set temperature throughout the day. I have had the HVAC people out 5 times since purchase of the unit, but they still have not fixed the problem. My question is should a brand new supposedly energy efficient unit run constantly for a11 or 12 hours and be unable to below 77 or 78 degrees until the late evening? My windows are closed, my shades are down, and the darn thing is brand new. What could the problem be and shouldn't they be able to fix it?
    joey4029 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2012, 09:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjazyblu View Post
    In April I purchased a new Lennox air conditioner. It's supposed to be 15 seer but the outside unit says 14 seer. When I questioned this I was told that the Elite attic unit functions as a 15 seer unit when combined withthe outside unit. My house is 1452 square feet. I live in Texas and the temperature is between 95 and 105. After the repair man reset the unit so it would no longer shut off in the hottest part of the day (the first problem was thought to be condensation and water), the unit now runs constantly from about 11:00 in the morning to about 10:00 at night and will not go below 77 or 78 degrees. It runs constantly and it runs from three to five degrees higher than the set temperature throughout the day. I have had the HVAC people out 5 times since purchase of the unit, but they still have not fixed the problem. My question is should a brand new supposedly energy efficient unit run constantly for a11 or 12 hours and be unable to below 77 or 78 degrees until the late evening? My windows are closed, my shades are down, and the darn thing is brand new. What could the problem be and shouldn't they be able to fix it?
    Amateur approach here...
    Go outside and feel the air being blown by the fan of the unit,and it should be very warm,proving it is working right
    Also,the new unit just works differently than the old 'freeze you out "one
    And lets not forget that a unit is working pretty well if it can lower the temperature in a home by say 30 degrees or so
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Jun 29, 2012, 10:09 PM
    short answer is no that is ridiculous.

sounds like amateur hour with the company. Even if the unit operates with variable speed motors it should pull to temp and stay there thus ramping down.

possibly a metering device prob. IE the evaporator is starving for refrigerant. Need more info to home in on it. Get someone who know what they are doing and get some manifold gauge readings along with superheat and subcooling. That will make their heads spin like the girl from that possessed movie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioner not blowing cold air, inside fan runs, but outside unit does not. [ 2 Answers ]

Unit not blowing cold air. Fan runs. Outside unit does not.

Air conditioner air handler fan runs constantly [ 5 Answers ]

Heat pump, Trane, late 80's vintage. To me a very typical heat pump. Air handler fan runs constantly. Turn up the thermostat, fan runs. Remove thermostat, fan runs. Disconnect the breaker fan turns off (duh). Reconnect the breaker with the thermostat high (no demand) the fan runs but the...

If my central air runs constantly could it be my thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

My central air runs constantly even if I have it on automatic. I have a programmable thermostat. It doesn't even cool the house. In fact the temperature rises. It feels like it is throwing out cool air.

Outside Air Conditioner Unit Runs When The Air Conditioner Is Switched Off [ 4 Answers ]

We bought a Panasonic split system inverter air conditioner (7.4kw) brand new over Christmas so it is only a couple of months old. We had it installed by a qualified air conditioner installer and everything works perfectly as it should. However we have noticed recently that when the air conditioner...

Air-Conditioner Compressor runs, No cool air [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Our Amana 8709088812 was working well. The cool air stopped but the compressor stayed on. We called a repair person and they replaced a fan. It worked for a short time and the same thing happened so they came back and replaced a second fan. They said there is a fan for intake and one for...

View more questions Search