Statement of Cashflows, Adjustments to Operating Activities
    Hello,
    I am looking at a statement of cashflows:
    Here is the scenario

Net Income -9082.24
    Adjustments to reconcile net income to net cash provided by operations
    Accounts Receivable -480
    Net Cash provided by Operating Activities -9562.24

What does the adjustments to reconcile net income to net cash mean?
    And why is does the number (net cash provided by operating activites) continue to decrease if we can an accounts receivable. Wouldn't that increase our cash once the receivable is paid?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 09:25 PM
    Well, in the example you provided, you net cash from operating activities INCREASED.

That aside….

A statement of cash flows shows WHERE the cash went during the year.

If your AR goes up, that means you are receiving LESS cash for sales.

For example.

In 2005, I made $1,000 in sales….. $400 in cash, $600 in AR. So my cash is $400.

In 2006, I made $1,000 in sales….. $300 in cash, $700 in AR. So my cash is $300.

My AR has gone up, and therefore, my CASH has gone down. And the statement of cash flows is all about CASH.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do kids need separate activities? [ 25 Answers ]

I am divorced, and I am engaged to be married. My fiancé has a 6 year old daughter. I have a 5 year old daughter and a 6 year old son. My children are and have been happily involved in various activities. My son is in baseball and football... my daughter is in her 3rd year of dance. This...

Price adjustments [ 2 Answers ]

When most industries adjust to offer low priced products and offer low wages, some industries that produce pricey products find their market demand dwindling and their bottom-line shrinking. Is this true?

Do kids need separate activities? [ 2 Answers ]

I am divorced, and I am engaged to be married. My fiancé has a 6 year old daughter. I have a 5 year old daughter and a 6 year old son. My children are and have been happily involved in various activities. My son is in baseball and football... my daughter is in dance. This year my son told me he...

View more questions Search