Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ctigers28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 07:45 AM
    Is it okay for non-related/non-siblings of the opposite sex to share a bedroom?
    My ex has primary custody of our 3 year old daughter. I get her 1 night during the work week and every other weekend. She just recently moved in with her fiancé and he has 3 children. He has children 1 week on and 1 week off in rotation that way. They're house is a 1200 sq ft house with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath. His 15 year old daughter and 10 year old daughter share a room and his 6 year old son is sharing a room with my daughter. I do not approve of this and think it's inappropriate seeing as though they're not siblings and are of a significant age difference and him being the boy and older. Is there or would there be a law against this? Could I take her to court to get custody if she fights me on this?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2012, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ctigers28 View Post
    My ex has primary custody of our 3 year old daughter. I get her 1 night during the work week and every other weekend. She just recently moved in with her fiance and he has 3 children. He has children 1 week on and 1 week off in rotation that way. They're house is a 1200 sq ft house with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath. His 15 year old daughter and 10 year old daughter share a room and his 6 year old son is sharing a room with my daughter. I do not approve of this and think it's inappropriate seeing as though they're not siblings and are of a significant age difference and him being the boy and older. Is there or would there be a law against this? Could I take her to court to get custody if she fights me on this?
    Yes its legal... why would you think otherwise... I'm sure they would be open to accepting money to buy a bigger place if you are willing to give it to them... otherwise it happens in thousands if not millions of houses every day just in this country.

There is no legal requirement for everyone to have their own room.
    ctigers28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 07:51 AM
    Would you approve if this were your daughter in the room with a non related boy 3 yrs older?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2012, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ctigers28 View Post
    Would you approve if this were your daughter in the room with a non related boy 3 yrs older?

This is about law, not opinion, but I'll answer your question.

Legally there is no problem with the 3-year old and 6-year old stepsiblings sharing a room UNLESS, of course, the 6-year old has some sort of abuse/assault record or propensities.

If you don't like the arrangement go back to Court, present your argument and request the Court to enter a new Order.

And would I approve? Yes, and I'll explain - I would not have a child with a person who had such poor judgment that he/she would put his/her (and my) child in a dangerous situation. Therefore, unless your "ex" has some sort of history of being abusive or neglectful I would feel she continued to act in the best interest of your daughter under the circumstances.

I do believe there's a possibility that the Court will agree with you and up your child support payments so that your "ex" could afford a separate bedroom for your child, leaving custody unchanged.

This part I don't understand - "Could I take her to court to get custody if she fights me on this?" Where are you intending to "fight her on this"? She is totally within her legal rights. Court is the only option.

The other part of this if you are questioning your child and putting questions and answers in HER mind it could very well backfire on you. I trust you are not, but people question children all the time about inappropriate behavior, the Court-appointed Attorney (or Social Worker) for the child realizes it... and your chances of visitation could fly out the window.

So - go to Court and request a change. There is no law (unless, of course, your "ex" is in public housing) but perhaps you can make a good legal argument.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Siblings of opposite sex in one bedroom apt [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 21-year-old daughter and a 15-year-old son. Is it legal for them to live in an one bedroom apartment in Missouri? The apartment is big enough for them to live. My daughter is going to use the bedroom and my son the living room. My daughter's bed and desk will be in the bedroom, and my...

Is there a law concerning siblings of the opposite sex sharing a bedroom in nc? [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 daughters, a 12 year old and a 9 year old, I also have a 7 year old son. Is it illegal to have the 9 year old and the 7 year old share a room so that my 12 year old can have her own room? My girls don't want to share a room with each other and so I was trying to find a solution to my...

Opposite sex siblings sharing a bedroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 children who are 8, 5 and 4 and they are sharing the same bedroom at the moment, the older two are girls and the youngest is a boy. I've been on the council waiting list for a 3 bedroomed house for over 4 years now but as far as they know it is okay for the children to be sharing a room. ...

Siblings of opposite sex wants to share room. [ 1 Answers ]

My 8yr old son and 6yr old daughter want to share a room. I have 4 children altogether. The home we are in is a 4 bedroom and currently my 11yr old and 8 yr old boys are constantly fighting. My 4th child is only 7mos old and he wakes 3-4 times a night so he can't be roomed with my 8 yr old do to...

Opposite Sex Siblings sharing a bedroom [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of Wisconsin, is there any law prohibiting opposite-sex siblings from sharing a bedroom after a certain age?

View more questions Search