Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicholi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 07:49 AM
    I have a husband who has a felony record and he is pretty much dead in the water for 20 years he has already been out 10 but he can not be bonded,get a passport,he just got the right to vote back but every time he applies they shoot him down.I hope you are not treated as the same way excon I wish you luck.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Hello nicholi:

Tell me more. I think I can helpl

excon
    Arizona83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Sorry don't know
    candle9025 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 09:52 PM
    The right to vote? They do not take that away from you... I have one and I can vote and get a passport.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2011, 09:49 AM

Again - old thread (from 2007). There are more recent threads which could use some attention.

As far as passports - a passport is ID. ANYONE can get a passport. You could get a passport from prison if you could work out the details. The US doesn't care who leaves the country. It cares about who comes INTO the country. A passport does not guarantee you can enter ANOTHER country - for example, Canada - if you have a felony conviction.

The right to vote varies by State. There is no "fits all" answer.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    As far as passports - a passport is ID. ANYONE can get a passport.. .
    Not quite true.
    For example, someone posted here a year or two ago, and I checked into it to find that, yes, there are regulations prohibiting the issuance of passports to persons who are supposedly delinquent in payment of child support. A very ill-advised (stupid, really, IMO) rule, but a rule none the less.

There may be other conditions under which one can be denied a passport.

A federal or state law enforcement agency may request the denial of a passport on several regulatory grounds under 22 CFR 51.70 and 51.72. The principal law enforcement reasons for passport denial are a federal warrant of arrest, a federal or state criminal court order, a condition of parole or probation forbidding departure from the United States (or the jurisdiction of the court), or a request for extradition. The HHS child support database and the Marshals Service WIN database are checked automatically for entitlement to a passport. Denial or revocation of a passport does not prevent the use of outstanding valid passports.
    http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/info/info_870.html
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2011, 06:17 PM

Yes, you are correct. Something unresolved in a person's background can prevent a person from getting a passport; also, unpaid support which has been reported (as I recall "which has been reported" is the operative phrase) can prevent the issuance of a passport.

The Government background check indicates the problems - and I've seen parole and probation restrictions NOT stated clearly; thus, passport issued!

But, yes, you are correct and I think I remember when this was posted before. Should have remembered... but didn't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony [ 6 Answers ]

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony. I see many questions on this topic... please post my input. A summary Court Martial is not a felony conviction period! There is nothing in the military to equate a Court Martial to a felony or misdemeanor conviction. The federal courts look...

Living with a felony [ 40 Answers ]

Do companies have the right to exclude a candidate from a job position based on a felony conviction? I was recently hired by an IT consulting firm to do a software deployment for a major bank. The consulting firm investigated my background, after I had fully disclosed the information to them. ...

Felony Expungment [ 3 Answers ]

I have two felonys on my record and I would like them expunged. My first one is a fourth degree felony Arson casein January of 2001. My second is an obstruction of justice a fifth degree felony in September of 2002

Felony expungment [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to get a felony expunged without having to wait 5-7 years, in Texas, after your probation. I'm ready to get a better job and focus on providing more for my child. I am currently on probation for check forgery, that I did when I was 19, very naïve and not mention dumb

Felony New york [ 14 Answers ]

OK I'm chef wondering if I can work for a reitrement community my charge was conspiracy to traffic... I know on my papers it says my charge is removed from public view after 1 year if that helps Ohhh I forgot I never had any jail time or anything just 1 year probation

View more questions Search