Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DiymamaX Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2012, 10:13 PM
    How to Replace Metal Drain (Overflow) Washing Machine Pan
    We have a metal drain (overflow) pan that needs replacing. There is no apparent way to remove the pan. There is no threaded connector. It appears to have a PVC pipe coming up through the floor in the center of the pan & a ring/washer that is seeming attached to the pan and holding it in place. I have tried pulling the ring off but it will not budge. What am I missing?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2012, 07:06 AM
    What model is the machine. Give us the model and model number and describe the machine: top loader or front loader.

Jun 29, 2012, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drtom4444 View Post
    What model is the machine. Give us the model and model number and describe the machine: top loader or front loader.
    My question is only about the metal overflow pan thr sits under a watching machine. There is no washing machine in the laundry room right now.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 29, 2012, 09:12 AM
    Cut out the drain connection with a bi-metal hole saw in a drill. Remove the pan and then come back and tell us about the plumbing connection.

It the pan is aluminum you can cut out the drain connection with an old wood chisel. If galvanized you can still cut out with chisel but will take longed. Will ruin chisel.
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2012, 09:13 AM
    Then you would have to ask the builder. You can buy these at some supply houses. It's possible to get a plastic one that would fit inside the metal pan. My guess is that they glued it to the floor and the PVC is attached with glue. If the PVC is the only thing holding it then you take a Dremel tool with a saw blade and cut the PVC as high up as you can. Then you can trim away the fitting and replace it. No matter how it's attached you will have to cut the pipe with a Dremel tool.

Jun 29, 2012, 09:45 AM
    Then you would have to ask the builder. You can buy these at some supply houses. It's possible to get a plastic one that would fit inside the metal pan. My guess is that they glued it to the floor and the PVC is attached with glue. If the PVC is the only thing holding it then you take a Dremel tool with a saw blade and cut the PVC as high up as you can. Then you can trim away the fitting and replace it. No matter how it's attached you will have to cut the pipe with a Dremel tool.
    I will try chiseling the connector ring off the pan & PVC pipe. The pan is over carpet so not glued to floor uay
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
    That may work but will give a ragged cut.

Jun 30, 2012, 02:08 PM
    That may work but will give a ragged cut.
    Well as is turns out nothing was sealed, glued or water tight for that matter. Once I began banging on the connector ring it became apparent that I could just wiggle the whole thing off.

Now for the next step: Installing a new overflow pan. (First I am going to remove the carpet & padding, reinforce with another sheet of plywood, install vinyl & then install a new overflow pan.) The plumbing is a PVC Pipe sticking straight up from the floor so middle of the pan.
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2012, 04:12 PM
    Great! It's good when things work out that way. Sometimes you just have to get in there and get your hands on the thing to find out what to do. Good luck with the repair and don't buy a front-loading machine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine overflow pan [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Is there any such thing as a metal washing machine over flow pan? I've always had a plastic one, but it deteroiates within a couple of years.

Washing machine drain overflow [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool duet front loader washing machine. 2 weeks ago it started to overflow the drain. I have had this washer for almost 1 year now. It never overflowed before. I poured drain opener down the drain with no results. The drain is located in the wall, but there is a trap or capped...

Washing Machine Drain Overflow [ 2 Answers ]

I walked into my laundry area to find the floor full of water. When the washer kicked into the spin cycle again, water was gushing out of the area where the washer drain tube is inserted. I also noticed that it sounded like water was running through my drains in the kitchen and bathroom right off...

Washing Machine Overflow Drain Pan [ 10 Answers ]

GREETINS! I just found the site... This is fantastic! I'm installing and overflow drain pan under my washer. Ultimately, I want to tie the pan's drain line into the main three inch line under the house. My question is do I need to install a trap in the pan's drain line? KT

Washing machine drain overflow [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all, I need help with a used washing machine I'm trying to hook up. (I need a lot of help, LOL) The biggest problem that I'm not sure what to do about is that when it starts to drain (spin), the water splashed out a LOT of water all around the drain hose. What I have is two faucets...

View more questions Search