Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dogdeville Posts: 69, Reputation: -4
    -

Jun 27, 2012, 06:48 PM
    Insurance on home
    What is the procedure on getting insurance on my new house that I built myself? Do they come out and look? Test? Inspection?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2012, 07:14 PM
    You contact an insurance agent. Each carrier may have a different procedure. Some may require an inspection. But if it is new construction they may just go by Certificates of Occupancy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2012, 07:17 PM
    Where are you, India, Iran, China, Canada ? We are a international site.

Assuming USA, well to build a house, you would have had to get the plans approved by zoning and building departments, All aspects of your home would have been inspected by inspectors, wiring, plumbing, even the foundation before it is covered up by other parts of the building.
    The proper building procedures will have to be done before you could even get a permit to move in.

So the insurance is not going to "inspect" but they may come out to do photos and be sure there are no noticeable standards.

Your insurance would not pay of course for fires or other issues from anything done improper or without proper permits

Normally they are going to value the property by the sq feet and the cost of property in your area.

If of course you have something very odd, they may need to review the blue prints and building notes.
    -

Jun 27, 2012, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You contact an insurance agent. Each carrier may have a different procedure. Some may require an inspection. But if it is new construction they may just go by Certificates of Occupancy.
    Thanks bud
    -

Jun 27, 2012, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Where are you, India, Iran, China, Canada ? we are a international site.

Assuming USA, well to build a house, you would have had to get the plans approved by zoning and building departments, All aspects of your home would have been inspected by inspectors, wiring, plumbing, even the foundation before it is covered up by other parts of the building.
    The proper building procedures will have to be done before you could even get a permit to move in.

So the insurance is not going to "inspect" but they may come out to do photos and be sure there are no noticable standards.

Your insurance would not pay of course for fires or other issues from anything done improper or without proper permits

Normally they are going to value the property by the sq feet and the cost of property in your area.

If of course you have something very odd, they may need to review the blue prints and building notes.
    Well this one is odd. I don't have blueprints. I built it myself. I'm in USA. I have my permits. I been living in it for one year alredy and the house is finally 99% complete. I did not use a bank so I bypassed their rules and inspectors. I built house on Lowe's and homedepot cards. I was just pre approved for loan to pay off my land and all credit cards. Now I need insurance. I hate insurance and hate to pay them. I would rather gamble and hope a disaster never hits. Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 28, 2012, 03:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdeville View Post
    Well this one is odd. I don't have blueprints. I built it myself. I'm in USA. I have my permits. I been living in it for one year alredy and the house is finally 99% complete. I did not use a bank so I bypassed their rules and inspectors. I built house on Lowes and homedepot cards. I was just pre approved for loan to pay off my land and all credit cards. Now I need insurance. I hate insurance and hate to pay them. I would rather gamble and hope a disaster never hits. Thanks
    The local Housing Dept didn't require blueprints or plans to issue an permit? That's unusual. Have you gotten COs?

As for insurance, can you afford to rebuild the house if it burns down or suffers a disaster? Where would you live if that happened? Or what would you do if someone visits and gets hurt? Could you afford to pay all their medical bills?

Yes insurance is a gamble. But its also protection. And a lender is going to require that you protect their interest. In my opinion its foolish to forego that protection.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 28, 2012, 06:06 AM
    In my experience the insurance company will definitely come out and look, not to inspect so much as to verify what you tell them - that the house exists, is completed, isn't abandoned, that it's size and quality is consistent your claimed value, how close the nearest fire hydrant or source of water for fighting fire is, whether it's near a stream that may flood, whether there's a pool or other potential liability hazard, etc.
    -

Jun 28, 2012, 07:16 AM
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I still need home insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Do I still need house insurance legally if I have paid off my mortgage? I live in the house but have recently found out that insurance companies do not insure the walls of the house!! Unless they have fallen down and the Foundations of the house move at the same time!! How many time would that...

Do I need home insurance [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bank mortgage on Land and mobile home I lived in for 24yrs but the mobile home is unlivable now but I still want the land and I am still making my mortgage payments. My home insurance was cancelled due to the fact I am no longer living in the mobile home. Do I need insurance because I...

Home Owners insurance [ 3 Answers ]

How can I find out who my neighbors home owners insurance company is? How can I found out if a home owners has home owners insurance? Is it legal to do so?

View more questions Search