Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2012, 01:39 PM
    2011 Electrical Code - AFCI Protection
    Ok All... let's take a vote, based on the 2011 Code Edition which NJ accepted on May 7th and Article 210.12: Is a laundry receptacle for a washing machine required to be protected by AFCI?
    I'm curious if there is as much general disagreement here as there is among
    Many electricians I know...
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 27, 2012, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hfcarson View Post
    Is a laundry receptacle for a washing machine required to be protected by AFCI?
    Does a laundry room fall into one of these categories?

(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.
    IMO, definitely no.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2012, 03:06 PM
    I agree with Stan, the laundry circuit should not require an AFCI device.

Since Laundry is a specific location identified by Section 211.11(C) -2 Branch Circuits Required, if an AFCI was to be required, it would be listed in Section 210.12.

Seems clear to me. Even did a search at NFPA for AFCI + Laundry, and no hits.

But, the State can waiver or change a code section, and require AFCI protection.
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2012, 07:51 AM
    Thanks guys, most of us agree. I discussed this with the local Electrical Inspector and he was disappointed with the way this code section had been worded... if you argue like a lawyer then the part that says, "or similar rooms", opens the door to the Inspector to go whatever direction he wants.

If the laundry circuit is located in an unfinished basement or the bathroom then of course it will be GFCI protected and not AFCI protected... but a laundry room is never mentioned one way or the other.
    The inspector brought up one other thing too... what about the lighting circuit in a kitchen? Since it's in the kitchen it does not have to be AFCI... why? Is'nt every other lighting circuit on an AFCI?
    (and the drama continues)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2012, 07:56 AM
    Thanks guys, most of us agree. I discussed this with the local Electrical Inspector and he was disappointed with the way this code section had been worded...if you argue like a lawyer then the part that says, "or similar rooms", opens the door to the Inspector to go whatever direction he wants.

If the laundry circuit is located in an unfinished basement or the bathroom then of course it will be GFCI protected and not AFCI protected...but a laundry room is never mentioned one way or the other.
    The inspector brought up one other thing too....what about the lighting circuit in a kitchen? since it's in the kitchen it does not have to be AFCI....why? is'nt every other lighting circuit on an AFCI?
    (and the drama continues)
    In Kitchens, lamps are not usually used as oppose to other rooms?
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2012, 08:15 AM
    Generally, lighting in a kitchen, unless, there are many fixutres, is usually on a general purpose lighting circuit that is on with other rooms, and I would expect to see kitchen lighting on AFCI.

I see it states "outlets" and originally AFCI was intended, or I thought, for receptacles.

Gets silly for some things.

And yes, "similar rooms" does open it to local opinion.
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2012, 08:18 AM
    Tk, exactly... if you have a large house with a dedicated lighting circuit in the kitchen and another in the adjacent dining room... only the dining room lighting circuit is required to be AFCI... don't figure
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2012, 09:22 AM
    Yep, I can see that. Just another loophole in the Code.

Gald I don't wire homes nowadays. I cannot imagine what it costs just for materials to wire a home, even at wholesale prices.

What the hell, why not a AFCI Main Breaker? Umm, that would be a bugger to t-shoot.
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2012, 09:36 AM
    ... maybe a "combo" GAFCI main breaker...
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 28, 2012, 12:39 PM
    ....maybe a "combo" GAFCI main breaker.....
    That's not what "combo" afci breakers are.
    Combo refers to series and parallel arcing.
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2012, 03:47 AM
    Stan... yes, I knew that, I was attempting humor...
    Even though it hasn't been invented yet, (give them time) the next code cycle they will be requiring an "all in one" Ground fault - Arc fault - Low Peak - Short Time - Instanteous - "it'll sweep the floors if you pay it" circuit breaker for the low, low price of your ______ (fill in the blank)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical code online [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal to ground a receptical to the junction box so long as the junction box is connected to metal conduit which has electrical continuity to earth ground?

What code applies to subfed panel in the electrical code [ 1 Answers ]

What section of the code (electrical) applies to subfed panels

Appliances protection from electrical variation [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ecuador and it is frequent to lose electrical power and recover in a very short time. To protect my refrigerator once I bought an artifact that blocked for 1 or 2 minutes the flow of electricity after a shortage of it. After that time delay it allowed again to pass electricity to the...

Code for basic fire protection for garage/house shared wall [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone refer me to a source (website) explaining why code requires interior walls to be 1/2" drywall (taped) but a garage/house shared wall must be 5/8"? I know it has to do with the time is takes for fire to breach the wall. I'd just like to see the numbers. I am looking at a product...

Electrical Shock protection on jettubs and pools [ 2 Answers ]

There was a fatal accident weeks back on a faulty light on a pool,:eek: The idea is to protect myself installed jettub motor from harming anybody and to Buy protection devices for pool lights. It seems that is fairly simple to put a current sensing swith at about 5 ma CFI class A plug...

View more questions Search