Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
    Socail Security Benefits for Wife
    Wife is 62 years old, with no social security credits of here own. The husband
    Has been collecting Social Security for 20 years. They have been married for 40 years. I wonder what percentage of the husband's social security check would she receive. Some have told me 70%??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2012, 02:01 PM
    She will collect 1/2 of his benefits if she retires at full retirement age - Retirement Planner: Benefits For Your Spouse

Jun 28, 2012, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneill474 View Post
    has been collecting Social Security for 20 years. They have been married for 40 years. I wonder what percentage of the husband's social security check would she receive. Some have told me 70% ????

I wonder how much she would get at 62?? Couldn't be much.
    Because at full retirement it is only 50%
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2012, 07:54 AM
    It's in the site I posted:

"If you start receiving spouse's benefits at age 62, your monthly benefit amount is reduced to about 32.5 percent of the amount your spouse would receive if his or her benefits started at full retirement age. (The reduction is about 67.5 percent.) The reduction for starting benefits as a spouse at age

63 is about 65 percent;
    64 is about 62.5 percent;
    65 is about 58.3 percent;
    66 is about 54.2 percent; and
    67 is 50 percent (the maximum benefit amount)."

Jun 28, 2012, 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneill474 View Post
    has been collecting Social Security for 20 years. They have been married for 40 years. I wonder what percentage of the husband's social security check would she receive. Some have told me 70% ????

Very Good information. Monthly check from husband is $1,389
    67.5% of $1,389 is $937.00. If the wife decided to collect at 62.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Socail Security [ 1 Answers ]

If I am on Social Security Disability do I need to file a NY Tax Return? I also receive a small pention of $2276 anualy.

Social Security Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

My wife (an elementary school teacher) originally worked for employers (school districts in Texas0 who were in the Social Security system. Then, she switched employers and works at a school that opted out of the Social Security system years ago. They do not take social security taxes out of her...

Social security benefits [ 1 Answers ]

What age does my child get terminated from social security this. Benefits.

Social security benefits [ 2 Answers ]

:) is social security money deposited in bank Safe from garnishments or liens from creditors?

Social security benefits [ 2 Answers ]

I turn 63 next April, but expect to continue working until I am 65 in April of 2010 (I expect because of the laws I will have to actually work until the end of 2010. I am toying with the idea of filing for my social security benefits when I turn 63, and then just putting the money away. I have a...

View more questions Search