Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MelanieRay Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 07:26 AM
    Lure training vs. clicker?
    What is the better method?
    I have a 7 year old dog that was lure trained when he was a puppy but, after we got through with puppy manners (sit, stay, walk on the leash and lay down) we stopped. He is my dog and Im happy with what he knows. His big "tricks" are to beg (sit pretty) and be invited into my kids rooms when the doors are closed (sniffing under the door until it rattles in the frame... self taught).
    Now we have a new puppy. They (my husband and son) want more from this dog. Silly tricks like dropping things in the trash and dragging palm fronds to the sideyard. What is the best start to get those and similar results? Is there a good book that will tell me how? Id like to go with the easier route of course but, I'm not willing to sacrifice the results. Any advice or suggestions?

As an after thought, if clicker is better, how hard is it to reteach an old dog new tricks? If my dog wants to learn I'm more than willing to teach him.

Check out some similar questions!

Clicker training [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in trying out clicker training, would this be agood idea even if my dog is three years old, what should I know about clicker training, how much does a clicker cost, are some better then others? Thanks

Clicker Training? [ 3 Answers ]

:) Hello, I have just recently adopted an 8.5 week old golden retriever male puppy.  I want to begin training him pretty much right away.  I have bought a clicker and very small healthy treats for rewards.  Has anyone done clicker training with their dogs? If so, how did you find it? (pro's...

Clicker training [ 4 Answers ]

Ok... I've signed Trinkett up to try and learn "retrieve" (yeah, she's a greyhound, not a spaniel, and I promise that I am willing to be patient... this is mostly just to see if she's willing to put her mind to work. It's a lot of fun watching her work her treat toys, so I'm thinking that mental...

What are your opinions on clicker training [ 13 Answers ]

My little Chloe is 3 months old and I really want to get her trained to do what I want her to. I went to the bookstore and found a book on training dogs, but alas, it recommends clicker training and I'm not too sure about that. I tried it with a previous dog (that came from a shelter) and it didn't...

How to Bulid a Lure Course for Dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I just saw a lure course for dogs in action at our annual Pets in the Park and it was the funniest thing I've ever seen! The dogs were frothing at the mouth to get to the "prey" that was actually a plastic grocery store bag on a continuous cable system powered by a battery. Anyone know how to build...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.