Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2012, 05:35 AM
    Who says that?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2012, 05:57 AM
    Hello a:

Well, it doesn't FLY in reverse because if it did, the pilots wouldn't be able to see where they were going.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2012, 06:02 AM
    Planes fly because of the amount and angle of the air flow past the wings. ( over) so to fly backwards, first there would have to be engines that would send air past the wings and the angle of the wings would need to be movable to a large angle
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2012, 06:12 AM
    Here is where you need the rear view mirror:
    British Aerospace Harrier flying backwards - YouTube
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 26, 2012, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Here is where you need the rear view mirror:
    British Aerospace Harrier flying backwards - YouTube
    Isn't vectored thrust wonderful ;)
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2012, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Isn't vectored thrust wonderful ;)
    Yeah it is, I was actually looking for a prop plane, showed that instead.

This one is good if you were on House arrest and couldn't leave your property:
    Extreme hang glider control - flying backwards in 30mph wind with gusts. - YouTube
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2012, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Extreme hang glider control - flying backwards in 30mph wind with gusts. - YouTube
    Hello Strat:

That was VERY cool.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
    I wonder if the OP's question is actually about taxiing in reverse. It would be nice if the plane could back out of its parking spot at the jet way without need a tug to push it. You'd still need spotters on the ground, and maybe a backup camera. Passenger jets have reverse thrust capability, do they not?
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2012, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I wonder if the OP's question is actually about taxiing in reverse. It would be nice if the plane could back out of its parking spot at the jet way without need a tug to push it. You'd still need spotters on the ground, and maybe a backup camera. Passenger jets have reverse thrust capability, do they not?
    Cameras or Communication would work, works for Cranes(another large object that could cause serious injury or death by lack of cameras/communication).
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2012, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Strat:

That was VERY cool.

excon
    I thought the House Arrest would get your attention. Ha. Take Care
    Cobalt2030 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2012, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Yes they do have thrust reversers, most jet aircraft do. Although not common practice it isn't uncommon for an aircraft to use reverse thrust to at a gate. Also reversers will only deploy with WOW.( weight on wheels ) so it must be on the ground

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan rotates reverse. How do I reverse direction [ 4 Answers ]

I had bought an USHA make made in india fan 6 months back. Suddenly it has started rotating in reverse direction. Please help

Hampton bay ceiling fan, reverse blade w/ no reverse on remote [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a house and 1 fan is in reverse. I can't find a switch on the fan and there's no reverse on the remote. This is a Hampton Bay fan. The remote says it's model: UC7083T. I also thought there must be a trick with the remote.

Garage door won't reverse when reverse sensor is interrupted [ 0 Answers ]

Just installed new drive gear and worm gear in my craftsman model 139.53648srt mfg 4/96. Everything on door works correctly except when door is closing if you pass through sensors it will not stop and reverse. I have checked all wires for breaks, both lights are lit on sensors however when you...

First time getting on an airplane [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning on traveling by airplane for the first time. What do I need to travel within the states? Do I need a passport or just an ID? Does it matter that I am not a citizen, just a resident?

Airplane in some other dimension [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I need a title for this movie... It's an older movie. I remember a lot of passengers in a plane. Suddenly, something happened to a plane, I think that somehow it went to another dimension. All the passengers who were awake were dead, and those who were sleeping were alive. In the end the main...

View more questions Search