Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billybob34 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2012, 04:38 AM
    ETG after 4.5 to 5 drinks
    What is the clearance time at a 500ng cutoff for 4.5 to 5 drinks and is it from the time of last drink or time of BAC 0 ? Does anything speed it up like sleeping less to have a higher "awake" metabolism longer, or eat certain foods? Or eat a lot to keep the liver active? Any ideas?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2012, 06:35 PM
    See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/addict...ce-675107.html
    hope7301 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by billybob34 View Post
    what is the clearance time at a 500ng cutoff for 4.5 to 5 drinks and is it from the time of last drink or time of BAC 0 ? Does anything speed it up like sleeping less to have a higher "awake" metabolism longer, or eat certain foods? Or eat a lot to keep the liver active? any ideas?

Dr Bill Can you help me?

I had approx 22 light beers on thur and one shot of vodka started drinking around 7pm and stopped about 2am which would have been fri morning technically. I am a male 27 years old 185 pounds and 5ft6in tall. I took a test on moday at 2pm. I haven't drank in almost a year before this episode. It was approx 84 hours since I had my last drink. I drank approx 2 gallons of water each day following my drinking episode up to Monday when I had to test. What are my odds?
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2012, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hope7301 View Post
    Dr Bill Can you help me?

I had approx 22 light beers on thur and one shot of vodka started drinking around 7pm and stopped about 2am which would have been fri morning technically. I am a male 27 years old 185 pounds and 5ft6in tall. I took a test on moday at 2pm. I havent drank in almost a year before this episode. It was approx 84 hours since i had my last drink. I drank approx 2 gallons of water each day following my drinking episode up to monday when i had to test. What are my odds?
    Your chances of passing are very good but not guaranteed. EtG testing seldom detects even heavy drinking past the 78-80 hour range. Some tests conducted in detox facilities have detected up to 102 hours (Borucki, 2005) but that is very rare.

That is a huge amount of alcohol for a single session! Not particularly relevant to elimination... just an observation.

Jun 26, 2012, 11:34 AM
    Thank you for your quick response I will reply when the results are in. Thanks again

Jun 26, 2012, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Your chances of passing are very good but not guaranteed. EtG testing seldom detects even heavy drinking past the 78-80 hour range. Some tests conducted in detox facilities have detected up to 102 hours (Borucki, 2005) but that is very rare.

That is a huge amount of alcohol for a single session! Not particularly relevant to elimination....just an observation.
    Do you think the water consumption that I had will help and with the 500 cutoff instead of 100 isn't that a big difference just wanting to get all the details
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2012, 12:08 PM
    Please stop, you are breaking the rules spamming this site with the same question over and over. I have deleted 3 or 4 of them at this point,

Keep all of your questions about the same subject on this one thread.
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2012, 12:12 PM
    It is widely published and established years ago that "... it is possible to decrease the urinary concentration of EtG to fall below the [level of detection] of the analytic method, simply by drinking moderate to large amounts of water or any other fluid prior to voiding."

This flaw in EtG testing receives no mention in the advertising of the commercial testing industry directed to those that pay for and depend on the results. That's understandable as water-loading is the most common strategy among drug abusers, to try to avoid detection when being tested for illicit drug use of any type.

If this phenomenon was understood in the marketplace who would use the test?

Most of the literature has used the 100ng cutoff. The difference in detection time is estimated to be about 10%. I suspect that the difference is at least twice that but is yet to be established.

Dahl, 2011 (p. 22)

Jun 26, 2012, 01:49 PM
    I apologize I am new to this site I understand your frustration.

Jun 28, 2012, 09:51 AM
    Had a test the next day which was tue which put me at 106 hours and I was clear on this test but still haven't got results of test taken on Monday. You still think I have a chance on that test Dr bill?
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2012, 09:57 AM
    You had an EtG test on 2 consecutive days? Am I understanding that correctly?

That would be very unusual. Are you sure they aren't doing Urine alcohol?
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2012, 10:10 AM
    Had a test the next day which was tue which put me at 106 hours and i was clear on this test but still havent got results of test taken on monday. You still think I have a chance on that test Dr bill?
    You had an EtG test on 2 consecutive days? Am I understanding that correctly? That would be very unusual.

Sounds like they are testing Urine alcohol (EtOH)?

Jun 28, 2012, 11:07 AM
    You had an EtG test on 2 consecutive days? Am I understanding that correctly?

That would be very unusual. Are you sure they aren't doing Urine alcohol?
    It is random could be 3 days in a row could be a week in beetween so yes two days in a row and I am sure it is an EtG with a 500ng cutoff.
    sonni99 Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Jul 2, 2012, 01:22 PM
    It is random could be 3 days in a row could be a week in beetween so yes two days in a row and i am sure it is an etg with a 500ng cutoff.
    HOPE - Just curious to see if you received your results from Monday's test.

Jul 2, 2012, 06:03 PM
    I should have the results tomorrow I am not too worried about it. I have passed them in 48 hours but drank less. What is your situation maybe I can shed some light.

Jul 4, 2012, 05:58 PM

That is a huge amount of alcohol for a single session! Not particularly relevant to elimination....just an observation.
    Dr bill,
    I should have gotten a call yesterday if I was over the limit but I'm still nervous. Just a few more questions if you don't mind. I notice in one of your posts you say that even heavy drinking episodes are usually negative in the 70 hour range is this still what u believe? Also don't you think after 84 hours from last drink I would at least be under the 500 ng cutoff? I have been reading a lot of the articles you ref in your posts and I have to say I can't believe I would be over the 500 especially with the amount of water I consumed the previous 3 days before testing I would say on average 2 to 3 gallons a day. Plus I know I had a 0 EtG reading on the test I took after the initial test which was about 24 hours after my 84 hour test. Dr bill I value your opinion on this more than you know and I want to say thank you again for your knowledge and answering my questions.
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2012, 06:15 PM
    Everything is in your favor. 500 cutoff, water consumption, passed the following day, and you are in the time range when very few people have EtG.

However, there is no certainty with EtG testing.
    sonni99 Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Jul 5, 2012, 07:26 AM
    Does anyone know if the testing lab is required to tell you what type of test that are doing? As for the ETG, I have been reading that they should be advising you not to use certain items (mouthwash, hygiene items, etc.) before testing, is this true? I am just baffled that a justice court system would use ETG tests when there is so much uncertainty behind the results and that an individual can challenge the result and in essence, cost the court system more money to re-test or fight the challenge. Your opinion?
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 08:07 AM
    There is a recent ruling requiring that laboratories provide results of drug testing to the subject tested, don't have the requirement in hand as yet. As a matter of informed consent you should have been provided with a list of alcohol containing products to avoid. The recommended guidelines can be found here:

Ethylglucuronide (EtG) and Ethylsulfate (EtS) - EtG and EtS Testing

Jul 5, 2012, 10:20 AM
    Dr Bill,
    Got the results and I was at a 0 EtG reading from my test on Monday. Thanks a lot for your input it is greatly respected and appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DrBill100 - EtG really so overhyped? Now baffled: lab says 3 drinks=20-24hrs. EtG? [ 7 Answers ]

Dr.Bill, I have been researching both the validity and dangers of false positives and negatives of this test as it is used for criminal, employment, and child custody reasons. In addition to the variant cut-offs, incidental exposures, etc. I am flabbergasted by the amount of conflicting info out...

EtG and detection times for 2 drinks [ 14 Answers ]

I hope Dr. Bill will see this and answer. I had about 1 2/3 beers. They were from the gas station and were 3.2% alcohol. I may have an EtG test in approx 36 hours after the last drink. I drank the beers over about two hours. What do you think?

EtG testing hours of elimination # of drinks [ 1 Answers ]

Dr. Bill , I am a male ,52 years old, 6'2" tall, 236 LB. On wed. I drank 14 light beers (12 oz.) from 3 PM until 11 PM. Stopped! Worked out Thursday, drank plenty of fluids Thursday and Friday, worked out Saturday, drank 1 mikes hard lemonade (5% alch) (12oz.)saturday then diet dr. pepper, Ice...

Can I pass EtG test after three drinks? [ 1 Answers ]

Three drinks sat 330 to 530 EtG test tues. 117 5'3 f no drinking prior to one month

View more questions Search