Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrscathy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 08:40 PM
    Sheet Music Copyright Question
    This is a question about sheet music copyright. A composer signs an agreement with a music publisher to produce and distribute his work. After many years, sales are very low, but the publishing company still retails the rights. The composer wants to rework the composition to use for another type of sales. Does the composer have any rights to the melody or other aspects of the composition?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 25, 2012, 07:30 AM
    Not if he sold it to the company and the company owns the copyright.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 25, 2012, 08:05 AM
    The composer would have to review his/her contract with the publisher to check for loopholes.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 25, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Also depends on exactly what that agreement granted to the publisher. This does not sound, from what has been said, that it was an outright sale of the work.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 25, 2012, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Also depends on exactly what that agreement granted to the publisher. This does not sound, from what has been said, that it was an outright sale of the work.
    And, if sales have been low, the publisher might be willing to sell the rights back for a nominal fee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Music copyright laws [ 8 Answers ]

I am from England and run a music band and another band has contacted me through FaceBook and email stating that they have copyrighted the same name in the USA . They are based in Washington DC,and that I should change our name.My band is just a small, local amateur group. I can't find them on the...

Post music without copyright [ 1 Answers ]

OK I live in U.S and I want to make forum about Asian music which I want to share music with other people. But I dun no if it that legal for me to put sharing music with other people ? Or what happen if someone else wants to share their music there I just open the forum and didn't post any music....

Music CD copyright [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a copyrighted music CD and an MP3 player. Is it legal if I convert all songs on the CD with Windows MediaPlayer to MP3 and play it on my MP3 player? I am not going to share the MP3 files with anyone else. -Piggley

Music Copyright dilemma [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a UK music publisher who represents certain composer/authors/artists. Their songs have been exploited by a Chicago record company for 20years, in some cases without contracts, in another by submitting a document with a forged signature. The Chicago company went into liquidation in 1991, but was...

How to set the music copyright attribute [ 1 Answers ]

My website stream music, It's free for everyone to hear but I want to set the copyright of the song to my site name so that everyone can see it on the media player such as "Copyright http://mysite.com" just like most of the music sites do. And how can I change the existing copyright of a song?...

View more questions Search