Ask
    lian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 07:06 PM
    for what values is x positive?
    f(x)= x+2/x+6
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 01:40 AM
    Although what az130 says is right, he has missed the negative values that f(x) is positive for too, these are the values below -6.

I have plotted a graph, the blue line is your function, you ca see it is positive above -2 and below -6

at x=-6 I have drawn the asymptote, this is a line that the equation approached but never touches.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images

asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Mar 2, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Capuchin, can we come up with how to solve this without a graph?

I can do it like this but I'm not happy with it. The second portion seems mathematically correct but obviously leads to the wrong answer. The 0 is causing problems. How do we use algebra to get both answers? How would you find the roots if it were = instead of >? Oh well, it's early for me so maybe my brain will come up to speed later :)

and

edit: i think the key is that we can't normally multiply both sides by something with an x without causing troubles and like i said, the 0 isn't helping.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Oh yes, I did it in my head without a graph, I just find it easier to show it that way.

Thank you for putting it more clearly than az130

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Present Values [ 16 Answers ]

Compute the present value of a $100 cash flow for the following combinations of discount rates and times: 1. r = 8 percent. T = 10 years. 2. r = 8 percent. T = 20 years. 3. r = 4 percent. T = 10 years. 4. r = 4 percent. T = 20 years.

Future values [ 1 Answers ]

compute the future value of $100 cash flow for 8% interest and for 10 years?

Future Values [ 1 Answers ]

Compute the future value of a $100 cash flow for the following combinations of discount rates and times: r=8%. t=10 years r=8% t=20 years r=4% t=10 years r=4% t=20 years

View more questions Search