Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Betrayed renter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 11:44 AM
    Crooked landlord 556
    My landlord told me him and his aunt own the house. Come to find out he was not an owner/on the title. I moved in sept. I pay my rent on time. I found out from a family member of his that the house has a title sell set to happen in 90 days and he's behind 18000+.they also said he hasn't paid since a month before I moved in. his aunt told him she done with the house and let him take of it. She no longer wants the house. He has been using my rent to fund his business. What are my rights.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 24, 2012, 12:10 PM
    You can try suing for fraud, but may have a tough time and it will cost you, and what will be your reason for damages besides the hassle and expense of moving again? It won't be worth it, and he doesn't have to be the owner of record to be your landlord, even if he lied about exactly who is on the deed. And the fact that he wasn't using your rent to pay his mortgage or taxes is not your concern or business.
    You can (illegally) withhold rents and wait to be evicted, and deal with the lack of future good references, which maybe you don't care about.
    You can negotiate with the town or lender or whoever is holding the sale. These days houses still aren't exactly selling like hotcakes, so you could be there for a long time unless they want the place empty. Find out from whoever will be selling the house. Maybe offer half rent in exchange for a written promise to vacate in 30 days or less and to have half your stuff in storage for a good showing of the property.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2012, 12:21 PM
    If I understand it, the AUNT owns the house ? But if the person who rents to you, does not have to own it, they just have to have permission of the owner to work as their agent.

So the question is, did this person have the authority to rent it out? It would appear so, you talked to aunt and she was aware you were renting it.

So it appears to be a legal rental by that fact.

Is he crooked, yes, but that is not always illegal, may crooks work within the system.

Next the house will foreclose, it is not illegal to rent a house you know is going to be foreclosed on, it happens all the time.

Next, what he does with the money, I actually found this one hard to understand and believe, but guess what, there is no law, at all, that requires a landlord to use the rent money to pay the rent.

So what is your options ? Talk to bank and try to buy it ? You can try to sue in small claims court, but since you lived there, perhaps new moving costs as a claim.

Best bet, live there till a new owner takes it and see if they want you to move, or if the bank takes it, they may allow you to be a renter

Jun 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
    I know a lot if people are trying to get out of paying rent but I'm not trying to get out if paying rent. I understand that rent needs to be paid. Just want to know who do I pay rent too and was I getting robbed cause that's what it feels like.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2012, 12:44 PM
    You can ask he Aunt, if she wants you to pay her or the person you rented from.

You pay them till the house is formally sold, or foreclsoed and at that point you pay the new owner

Jun 24, 2012, 12:47 PM
    Ok thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
    Why do you think you were robbed? You rented the property at a rental you found acceptable. You moved in and have been occupying the property. I'm assuming you signed a one year lease. So you have two to three months to go on that lease. So I'm having a hard time understanding why you feel you were robbed or even betrayed. Unless you felt you were going to live there for a long time, it doesn't make sense.

Your contract is with your landlord, you pay your rents to him unless the aunt (apparently the title holder) tells you, in writing, to pay her. Or until someone else proves to you that they have purchased the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Door, Model 556 [ 4 Answers ]

Overhead Door, Model 556 Question -- how to program the remote control?

How to deal with a crooked landlord [ 4 Answers ]

I phoned a landlord from out of state requesting info on his apartment. He lied over and over regarding the condition, and size amongst other things. I had an aunt and uncle look it over and they raved about it. Now that I got here the place is a dump the windows are so old the place doesn't heat...

Crooked landlord in NC [ 12 Answers ]

Hi , I have an option to buy a house in NC. Rent in $900.00. If you are one day late he charges 10% of rent . $90.00. Then every day charges $5.00 per day until you pay the rent Is this legal? Thanks:mad:

Crooked landlord, maybe? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there everyone I am from Sussex, WI and, I am a proud owner of my first home. However, I am having some issues with my landlord that I just left. Here is the story. After fulfilling my first year's lease I requested from my landlord that he put me on a month to month lease. The request was...

View more questions Search