Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Jun 24, 2012, 09:38 AM
    Can anyone tell me what plant this is?
    See attachment for pic,
    This grows extremely fast, new growth shoots are hollow, then turn solid and branch-like after a year or so. Its very invasive, I tried to transplant a part and found most of the new shoots that come out of the ground seem to be coming from a main trunk a few feet away- its like they are part of the main trunk root system. Its not bamboo, but does act like it... the region I live in is central Ohio.
    Thanks for any help in finding out what this thing is.
    Attached Images

busymom.7 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dayslug24 View Post
    see attachment for pic,
    This grows extremely fast, new growth shoots are hollow, then turn solid and branch-like after a year or so. Its very invasive, I tried to transplant a part and found most of the new shoots that come out of the ground seem to be coming from a main trunk a few feet away- its like they are part of the main trunk root system. Its not bamboo, but does act like it....the region i live in is central ohio.
    Thanks for any help in finding out what this thing is.
    This is a weed -- a wild trash tree. You should kill it by brushing on a weedkiller with a small foam brush to avoid getting it on surrounding plants. It's very difficult to get rid of but a few repeat applications should do the trick.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 24, 2012, 11:49 AM
    It doesn't look exactly like ailanthus, but acts like it... an invasive of all invasives. It will rip the bricks or stones out of your foundation, and grow right up into the cellar. If you cut it into logs, each log will sprout.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 11:50 AM
    Looks like a sumac. Maybe not a trash tree but close to it. Root suckers are hard to control. This is not poison sumac so cut away!!
    busymom.7 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 02:44 PM
    You can apply the weed killed with 2-4-D by carefully brushing it on the leaves with a small foam brush to avoid getting it on other plants nearby. Or you can cut it down and apply the weed killer to the trunk stub by drilling a hole in the center and pouring the weed killer into the hole... goes to the roots to kill it. You do not want to encourage this by transplanting... it's a menace for sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help with a plant [ 1 Answers ]

My husband got me this plant a couple years ago and he was told to just spray it w/ water once a week and it would survive. Well I don't know if its supposed to look like this (the leaf things were green when I got it), let alone what its name is. Help please? He was also told that it would grow...

I want to start dal mill plant tell me about process and plant and capital requir [ 2 Answers ]

Res sir I want to start dal mill plant. Tell me about plant, process and required capital. Bhuvenesh kabra, pali marwar rajasthan

What is this plant ? [ 4 Answers ]

What is this plant ?

Plant id. [ 7 Answers ]

Does anybody know who this is? I just got him from the clearance rack and the store only identified him as "model 4.8 tropical." I tried searching Google images, but I don't have much to go on. I want to plant him with a chicken gizzard that I got off the same rack, but I don't know if they like...

What should I plant . [ 3 Answers ]

I have a wonderful patch of empty dirt between my garage and sidewalk and don't know what to put there, last year I tried raspberry canes and blueberries but there wasn't enouph sun and they didn't produce any berries, It is in shade all the time, I was thinking of some pretty flowers and maybe a...

View more questions Search