Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    littlesister83 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2012, 11:53 PM
    Hostile work environment?
    I have worked at my place of employment for just over a year and a half, and my boss is... well I wouldn't want even anyone that has wronged me to work with this person. I have been called stupid, retarded and incompetent, I have been belittled and disrespected in front of other employees. Now, I'm not saying that I'm the smartest person, I admit that I have dyslexia and a learning disability, but I don't believe anyone deserves to be treated this way.

I have talked to the "HR" person in this small company, and all it did was put a band aid on the situation for almost a week. I had a talk with my boss, again, a band aid for almost 3 weeks. It is to the point where I am throwing up before I go to work just thinking about the day that I will have to suffer through. I've thrown up at work as well.

All the things that are said to me are making me second guess myself and I am starting to mess up on things that I KNOW how to do. My work performance is suffering and getting worse by the day. Everyday I have a thought go through my head 'this is the day I am getting fired'. But it doesn't happen, I am pretty sure its because the head honcho of the business likes the way I do side jobs that I am pulled away to do.

I have gone to several law firms and am told that unless what is happening is discriminative, such as sexual harassment or discriminative against a disability, I have no case. They also said that what I am experiencing is "personal" not discriminative and that my only option is to go to my local police department and file a formal complaint. I have nothing against the company or the other employees, just the person that obviously has such an immense amount of hatred towards me.

That being said I know that starting a legal action or filing a formal complaint while I am still working there will not help my situation. All I want from this is to be able to work without stress or fear of being jobless. I don't say anything for fear of losing my job. I don't know what else to do, and any advice will be greatly appreciated, I already appreciate you reading through this lengthy explanation of my situation.
    wop48 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2012, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by littlesister83 View Post
    I have worked at my place of employment for just over a year and a half, and my boss is ....... well I wouldn't want even anyone that has wronged me to work with this person. I have been called stupid, retarded and incompetent, I have been belittled and disrespected in front of other employees. Now, I'm not saying that I'm the smartest person, I admit that I have dyslexia and a learning disability, but i don't believe anyone deserves to be treated this way.

I have talked to the "HR" person in this small company, and all it did was put a band aid on the situation for almost a week. I had a talk with my boss, again, a band aid for almost 3 weeks. It is to the point where I am throwing up before I go to work just thinking about the day that I will have to suffer through. I've thrown up at work as well.

All the things that are said to me are making me second guess myself and I am starting to mess up on things that I KNOW how to do. My work performance is suffering and getting worse by the day. Everyday I have a thought go through my head 'this is the day I am getting fired'. But it doesn't happen, I am pretty sure its because the head honcho of the business likes the way I do side jobs that I am pulled away to do.

I have gone to several law firms and am told that unless what is happening is discriminative, such as sexual harassment or discriminative against a disability, I have no case. They also said that what I am experiencing is "personal" not discriminative and that my only option is to go to my local police department and file a formal complaint. I have nothing against the company or the other employees, just the person that obviously has such an immense amount of hatred towards me.

That being said I know that starting a legal action or filing a formal complaint while I am still working there will not help my situation. All I want from this is to be able to work without stress or fear of being jobless. I don't say anything for fear of losing my job. I don't know what else to do, and any advice will be greatly appreciated, I already appreciate you reading through this lengthy explanation of my situation.
    Sorry for your situation. This is work place harassment without a doubt. If you have already talked to HR and they won't do nothing then there asses should be fired. I do not know where you live but here in Canada we have the ministry of labour to confide in and or human rights commission. Maybe try to find similar.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2012, 06:03 PM
    Is it discrimination, most likely but if this is in the US, only very very specific types are illegal.

It is not because of race, nationaility or religion, is it not of sexual nature, if you are the only women or all of the women are being treated this way ( but not the men) then it may be a case.

Next no disability, it has to be a rated disabilty one that meets the federal disability standards that mean a major life function is effected. And for other disabilities, they are not attacking or making it hard to work because of that problem.

So you have the option that millions with bad bosses do, you change and find a new job
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2012, 03:51 AM
    Chuck has pretty well defined your options. I would just add that even if you found some grounds to go after these clowns it sounds like you would still have an undesirable situation. Find another job (easier said than done I know) and if you can afford it, even consider a lesser paying job. Going to a job every day under those conditions is cruel and unusual punishment pretty much.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2012, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wop48 View Post
    Sorry for your situation. This is work place harrassment without a doubt. If you have already talked to HR and they won't do nothing then there asses should be fired. I do not know where you live but here in Canada we have the ministry of labour to confide in and or human rights commission. Maybe try to find similar.

Why are you so sure this is harassment? I don't see it - what am I missing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does this count as defamation/hostile work environment and can I sue? [ 0 Answers ]

I have worked for a very large hotel company for 4 years with nothing but good performance reviews from my Director and Assistant Director as well as never ever receiving a write up or even a verbal counsel. I recently applied at another property for a higher position and was actually told by the...

Memo hostile work environment [ 1 Answers ]

My supervisor one of many has control of the jobs I do each day I continuously get the worst jobs if she is the one who assigns them to me. She talks to me like I am a low level of scum. When I mess up "come in late maybe once a year she makes note of docing my pay when there are others who...

Hostile work environment [ 5 Answers ]

I was working the other night when my supervisor and a co worker entered my work station and asked me to come to the office, so I went with them and me and the co worker got into a heated argument. My coworker was literally in my face yelling at me, so I looked at my supervisor who was just sitting...

Labor law/hostile work environment [ 4 Answers ]

I was acting supervisor on my job last week. Iwe all carry weapons at this job. I gave an order to one of the employees and she flipped. She began to curse at me very loudly, she called people on her personal phone to talk about me loud enough so that I could her. As a matter of fact, she was...

View more questions Search