Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mtrodgers Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2012, 06:53 PM
    Central air unit not cooling down house
    I have a carrier central air unit, model 58CTA/CTX, It blow cold air then warm air.The thermostat is set on 60 degrees, my house is 80 degrees. My filter are clean, the outside unit is clean, also water is leaking from the side of the air handler. My air handler is 6 years old, my warranty ran out after 5 years, can anyone tell me what the problem is?
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Jun 23, 2012, 07:01 PM
    If it is blowing cold for awhile then all of the sudden changing to ambient air than more than possibly a motor is cutting out on the outdoor unit. See if you can tell when it happens next time - go outside and you may catch the condenser fan off and the compressor maybe running (albeit for a short period till it cuts out on internal overload) if so pull disconnect

Or

Both will already be off

Or

Compressor off and just the condenser fan motor running

The reason they come back to life later is the overload has time to cool and reset and all seems normal again...

If any of the scenarios are happening get it sorted out because it is quickly taking time off the life of the compressor for sure

Does it happen during the hottest time of day?

Jun 23, 2012, 07:08 PM
    Yes, it does all the time

Jun 23, 2012, 07:12 PM
    Thank you

Jun 23, 2012, 08:00 PM
    See if you can catch a motor in the act.

When you say water 'leaking' from side of air handler do you mean draining normally out through a pvc pipe condensate line or 'leaking' from seams in the cabinet?

Jun 23, 2012, 08:13 PM
    Just wondering

Jun 24, 2012, 12:30 AM
    Water comes from the seams in the air handler

Jun 24, 2012, 08:34 AM
    Clean out the condensate drain line.

Jun 24, 2012, 09:31 AM
    I already cleaned drain lines.I also turned off all power to handler, used a flathead screwdriver to remove motor panel, the panel was against a switch.I got nervous & replaced the panel, did I mess up. Everything is running as of right now

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central Air Conditioning Unit Not Cooling [ 9 Answers ]

Last night my temperature was set on 77 degrees on my Central AC towards the end of the night, the house started getting hotter, I looked at the AC Thermostat and it read 83 degrees in the home and it never cooled off. This morning it still read 83 degrees and still warm and I turned the Central AC...

Why does my Central Air Unit (Goodman split unit) neither cool or heat my house? [ 6 Answers ]

It worked fine all summer until last few months. When I have it to cool it blows air but not cold air. Now that I want heat it blows cool air and not hot air. It took it 30 minutes to heat my 1000SF home from 64 degrees to 65 degrees. What could be the problem?

Central Ac unit not cooling house! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am having issue with my AC. We have had the guy over here many times to add freon and look at the unit, he always says nothing wrong. I know it is extremely hot outside and we don't have any big trees for shade but what could be wrong with our unit. I changed the filter inside and I made...

Central unit not cooling house [ 5 Answers ]

Central a/c unit is blowing cool air. I set ac to 70 at night it cools to 70 in the day the temperature goes to 78. It is a little cool but I start to sweat a little. Last year the outside temp was 100 and I would set my ac to 73. That temp was cold cold. This year it is not working the same. ...

View more questions Search