Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maputo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Garnished checking account
    Hi, What recourses or defenses do I haveagoinst a collection agency that received a judegment enabling them to garnish my account for over 2 thousan$ double the amount they say is owed to them, plus I have to pay $125.00 check garnishment fee.
    I HAVE 0 BALANCE IN MY ACCOUNT at this moment
    Thanks for any help an informed consumed is what I want to be.

Diana
    teresacollins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 10:12 AM
    How much can a creditor take from my checking account?:(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maputo
    Hi, What recourses or defenses do I haveagoinst a collection agency that received a judegment enabling them to garnish my account for over 2 thousan$ double the amount they say is owed to them, plus I have to pay $125.00 check garnishment fee.
    I HAVE 0 BALANCE IN MY ACCOUNT at this moment
    Thanks for any help an informed consumed is what I want to be.

Diana
    Pay them what they say you owe. Your recourse was BEFORE they obtained the judgement. Unless they got a default judgement because you didn't fight it, there is nothing you can do. If it was a default judgement you can file a Motion to Vacate the garnishment and have them take you back to court to obtain a valid judgment.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teresacollins
    How much can a creditor take from my checking account?:(
    As much as you owe.

For future reference its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's thread. Please start your own thread when you have a question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnished Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - My bank account was recently garnished as an attempt to collect on a Judgement against me. The amount of the Judgement is more than what the balance of my bank account was. The current balance of my bank account shows as negative in the amount of what is owed for the judgement. If I...

Co-signer on Car Loan and Account Garnished [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have just had our joint account garnished/levey yesterday and all the bank would give us was a phone number that was only in operation from 8-5pm. They would not tell us any details only that the account had been garnished. Today we have found out that is for collection of a...

Account Garnished, Possible Lien, Please help [ 7 Answers ]

In March of 2003 I stopped paying 3 of my credit cards while I lived in FL. Now, World Assett Mgmt, a debt purchaser, and one of the worst, has placed a jugdement against me, filed for contempt of court, and has garnished my bank account. (I know I should have shown up for the court hearings, but I...

Garnished bank account funds [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Texas. In 1999 I had a business that failed. One company that I owed filed a judgement. Now I have been told by my bank that my bank account funds have been garnished, from said judgement. According to Texas Law only tax levies can garnish a bank account. I have filed and signed a letter...

Locked Out Checking Account [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Virginia. I have my daughter on my checking account. Capital One issued a garnishment against her that froze my accounts. They are telling her she has to request a hearing asking for the account to be unfrozen but also must be able to prove that the money in the account is not hers. ...

View more questions Search