Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neilro2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2012, 09:16 AM
    What does a limit switch do on an goodman ac unit
    I have a goodman ac unit split system,the blower motor starts running and runs for about 5 or 6 seconds then shuts off.I have replaced the capacitor and the circuit board.I was told that I may need a limit switch can someone tell me if they think that will fix the problem or that I need a blower motor--HELP
    Frank Mangrum Posts: 86, Reputation: -3

Jun 23, 2012, 10:55 AM
    I am not aware of a limit switch that is in motor control circuit during cooling mode of operation other than thermal and overload controls built into motor itself---they are not replaceable other than replacement of motor. If heat mode limit opens (mostly does this during heat cycle) this would start blower motor and it would run continuously while limit switch is open. Does motor shaft turn freely? Any unusual noises when motor is running? Does motor feel warm or hot when it shuts off? Could be motor failure---need more information to be sure.
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Jun 23, 2012, 02:35 PM
    What happens when you turn the blower motor on by itself.

t-stat fan switch from auto to on?

Same deal?

Check all wires have solid connections

Can try pulling cover off t-stat and wire nut red and green - same thing?

If it is not to gnarly to run in heat mode - even for a minute or so - try that and see if you get normal operation.

If you get the same result - you can check blower motor voltage with a meter on a demand at the blower motor (tstat calling for fan on). If you are getting the necessary 120 or 240 volts required and the voltage is sustained for half a minute or so than yes go for a new blower motor.
    neilro2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Thanks for all your help,I am going to replace the blower motor.I will let you know if that was the fix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman Open Limit Switch [ 10 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GDS80904BNA downflow furnace that does not work. It is 3 years old. I am getting the open limit switch error code on the circuit board when the T-stat call for heat. Only the circ. Blower turns on and rans continuously until I turn it off. Here is a little history on it. Once...

Goodman limit switch failure [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a goodman gm0150-5 furnace and above it is the ac coils I think. Yesterday I noticed that the inside furnace blower was not shutting off. I turned off the Thermostat completely, set the fan to auto and the thing is still running.. blowing air through my house... The outside...

Goodman limit switch diagram [ 1 Answers ]

Goodman furnace flashing light code, flashes four times, I think it might have to do with a limit switch, not sure though, all diagrams and schematics unreadable.

Confirm need new limit switch? (goodman gmp075-3) [ 11 Answers ]

Please help troubleshoot nat gas Goodman furnace. Power on. Fan/blower runs constantly, but no heat. No flame. 4 blinks. No manual, but I believe this to mean "open limit" by reading other posts for this model furnace. Furnace filter was very dirty and has been replaced. Traced wires back...

Goodman limit switch/pressure switch? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a goodman furnace (mod. # GHT070-3) it's about 5 years old. Recently, the heat will only kick on for about 30 seconds then shut off. It's giving me 4 flashes: Open limit switch, then it kicks off. After that it gives me 3 flashes and turns back on (pressure switch). It seems the...

View more questions Search