Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chevpowr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Is this accident my fault?
    OK I was involved in an accident last night. It was nighttime and it was snowing heavily in a town that very rarely gets snow. I
    Was driving up hill and I began sliding over into the oncoming lane. I became stuck about a third over the white line on the far left side of the road and about 2 3rds in the oncoming lane. 30 seconds later a truck is going about 35 down the road, doesn't see me and brakes. He slides sideways into the right front corner of my truck.

Now its safe to say that if I was driving down the road on his side, going slow, or stuck in the snow... he still would have smashed into me. Regardless of which direction I was facing

Also no one else was even close to driving as fast as he was driving in the snow on this verry slippery road

So... whos fault?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 02:44 PM
    This might be a no fault accident, due to weather conditions. What did the police say?
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 28, 2007, 02:46 PM
    If you are stating the circumstances accurately, I'd say it's a 50/50 or 60/40 (60% your fault).
    Neither you nor he should have attempted to drive in those conditions - the correct thing to have done was to either drive VERY slowly or pull over.

It was an honest accident, but you should have been more careful.
    ddtfw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 02:48 PM
    The accident is his fault because he was driving too fast for conditions. If you were stopped, stuck, then he should have stopped or been able too. In WA last person that can avoid a collision is supposed to, what if your car had been a child crossing the road? I don't think that he was on my side of the road would be a good response to the Police after he had run over the child. Do not say you were moving or the other driver will say that you crossed into his lane to late for him to avoid you.

Feb 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Thanks for answering my question everyone.
    I think I agree with the above post in that if I was stuck going his direction... or even going 10 mph, he still would not have been able to slow down or stop in time to avoid a collision.
    I am hoping that's how the adjusters see it as well.

Or, it could be a no fault accident, and if that is the case who pays the deductibles?
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 28, 2007, 10:00 PM
    Ah - STUCK as in STATIONARY, I thought you meant stuck as in being unable to steer back into lane.

That does make it 100% the other guy's fault. There is a legal requirement that a driver moderate his or her speed to be able to stop in an emergency.

Mar 1, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Awesome I hope the adjusters think so too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this accident my fault? [ 11 Answers ]

OK so I was making a left hand turn and I was suppose to yeld but I didn't see this car and she cliped my back bumper is it still my falt if it was that back of the car oo and it was ice outside so she couldn't stop and that's why she hit me. :confused: :(

Car accident not at fault [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I need advise please. I was involved ina car accident 2 months ago. It was not my fault . On the day of the accident I had my 22 month old son with me t,he paramedics arrive but I refuse to go to the hospital because I didn't have any insurance. Also I had just purchased that car and I was...

No-Fault accident do I pay? [ 3 Answers ]

I had just recently gotten my car and had not put insurance on it. I was driving it in the rain one night and came over a hill where a car was parked facing me in my lane on the road. I tried to stop but I slid into the car and damaged the door and fender on it. The police were called and I got a...

What Happens If Its My Fault In An Auto Accident [ 5 Answers ]

Question 1: OK if I don't have auto insurance and I hit someone who is insured and its my fault and the two children in the back seat of her car are injured but not seriously are not the drivers children can I be sued by both parties by the driver and by the parents of the children Question 2: ...

Not At Fault Car Accident, What's Next? [ 2 Answers ]

I was Recently In A Car Accident That was not my Fault The Other Driver Took Responsibility For The Accident, But I Have Yet To Hear From His Insurance Company Which He Has Yet To Inform Me Of. The Police Don't Even Know His Insurance Company Either. He Was A Government Official And Driving A...

View more questions Search