Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jseidel5263 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
    Mom is in hospice; I need suggestions to help her pass the time
    Mom has been in hospice, in her home, with caregivers for several months now. She will watch a little TV during the day and has enjoyed coloring in "adult" coloring books. (Not x-rated! I just mean they aren't cartoons pictures for kids!) But reading doesn't hold her attention any longer. Knitting has become frustrating to her sense of accomplishment since she makes so many mistakes these days. (I tell her I love each dropped stitch. It makes my new scarf very personal.) What other activities can I bring to her now that she is housebound and stuck in that reclining chair? Any ideas?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 22, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Do you think she might have the capacity to grasp surfing the internet? Many older folks shy away from using a computer because they fear breaking it. Also they have no knowlage of it. But once they get their feet wet they can have the world at their doorstep and not leave the room. She may have much more to contribute then you realize.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 22, 2012, 04:29 PM
    Contact your public library to get Talking Books sent to her. All is free. She will get the equipment and books on tape or CD by mail, Here's a site to explain further: Home Page of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped

OR, just get her a CD player and check out books on CD from the library. They should have a good supply available. You will probably be able to lengthen the checkout time if you tell the librarian your mom's situation (but then, she may "read" them fairly quickly). Even new books are put on CD almost immediately nowadays.

Trying out a Kindle (Kindle Fire with Internet access?) might be another option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mom pass away [ 12 Answers ]

My Mom pass away in VA. But in 2007 she sold her home in new orleans and I receive half of the sale.Presently I am still waiting to get the rest of her assets.I do not have $$ to hire an attorney so what are my options to get the rest of her assets.

Girlfrends mom pass away and I need words of encouragement [ 3 Answers ]

Mom passed and she still greeving. Now she hates her jobs people she works around. She need words of encouragement.

Need suggestions on taking time with my ex [ 152 Answers ]

Multiple threads merged Please keep all questions regarding the same issue in the same thread We are in our latter thirtys, have a child together, live separate, email or call each other occasionally, and see each other almost every two weeks. She is very insecure, feels she's not in my...

Hey.umm my mom needs 'wordz' getting a job so any suggestions where? [ 6 Answers ]

Hey my mom is going through a lot and she got 4 kids me:12 yrs, da rest r 2yrs, 1yrs, and 4yrs She has been trying to get da 4yr old in sckoo for a while no And da 2+4yr old have anger issues lyk dere dad and dey are terrible to me they sem lyk little 3rd and 5th graders in a 2+4yr olds body...

How much time should pass when. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I sold our first home 3 years ago to a couple who are now claiming that there is faulty wiring in the basement. They refused an inspection when we closed, and now 3 years later say they want us to pay for the new wiring or they are going to take us to court. Can they legally do...

View more questions Search