Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asterixnb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 07:24 AM
    Does 10,000 threshold for FBAR apply to individuals filing jointly?
    My wife and I file taxes jointly in the US. And we have individual bank accounts in India.

I had a question about whether the $10,000 threshold gets doubled for individuals filing jointly?
    A. Do I file FBAR if my overseas balances exceeded 10,000, and my wife files FBAR if her overseas balances exceeded $10,000?
    OR
    B. Do we file FBAR if the sum of our accounts put together exceeded $10,000 any time? For example, if I had $5,000 and my wife had $5,000.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 22, 2012, 07:51 AM
    The FBAR considers each person separately.

Example One: You have two JOINT (your and your spouse) accounts, each which had a MAX balance of $5,000 ON THE SAME DATE, then you submit ONE FBAR under YOUR NAME, but you BOTH sign the form since they are joint accounts.

Eample Two: You have just ONE SEPARATE under just your name for $5,000, and your wife has just ONE SEPARATE under just her name for $5,000, then NO FBAR is requited from either of you because neither of you meet the $10,000 threshold.

Example Three: You have just ONE SEPARATE under just your name for $5,000, and your wife has just ONE SEPARATE under just her name for $5,000, AND you have a JOINT account that, on the same date as the separate accounts, has a balance of $6,000. In that case, you BOTH must submit SEPARATE FBARs. On your FBAR, you report your separate account and the joint account. On HER FBAR, she reports HER separate account and the JOINT account.

If you decide you need professional help on this matter, email me at the email address in my profile.
    Dubdub Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2012, 12:52 PM
    Can you elaborate on example 2? I'd think that because the total of both individual accounts is 10K and the couple of is filing a joint return, there would be an obligation to declare 10K total amount for FBAR. I'm curious to know what you base your answer for example 2 on.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 25, 2012, 01:28 PM
    There is no TRUE joint FBAR.

Each married couples' assets are considered individually, with a JOINT account double-counting against each spouse's individual FBAR requirement (as noted in Example #3). Since, individually, each spouse's account do NOT exceed $10,000, NEITHER spouse is required to submit the FBAR.

However, as noted in Example #1, the IRS conceded that it made NO sense to submit two separate FBARs that has the same account information under two separate names, which is why they allow just ONE FBAR signed by BOTH spouses.

But that is allowed ONLY IF each spouse does NOT have a separate account that, when combined with the balance on the joint account, causes each individual spuse to exceed the $10,000 threshold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FBAR filing queries [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a few questions regarding FBAR form: 1. I have to enter information about shares. What should be the "Maximum value of account during calendar year reported" be for shares? Do I need to find out the highest price of the shares in 2011 and then calculate the net value or can I use...

How to apply Tax Treaty when filing jointly? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a U.S. citizen filing jointly with my wife who is a non-resident alien. She is a student and her income comes from a government grant. Her income is taxed throughout the year. In past years she has been able to get those taxes refunded by specifying her wages on line 6 of 1040NR (Total...

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

View more questions Search