Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    butchandt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 05:35 AM
    1996 F-350 sluggish in 1st gear HELP
    I have a 1996 F350 Turbo , in 1st gear it is sluggiush after it changes gears it picks its power back up and runs great , it does it every time and only in 1st gear , what could the problem be? It has been hooked up to 2 different machines and trows no codes , I have changed the whole exhaust,and serviced it completely, I am out of ideas , can you help me find the problem?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2012, 05:47 AM
    . Check the turbo--it may be developing problems. If you don't use full synthetic heavy duty diesel oil, it's only a matter of time until the turbo fails. Torque requirements are greatest in 1st gear.

. Check/replace the Variable Speed Sensor (VSS).

. Drop and clean the transmission pan and magnet, change the filter, and refill with synthetic ATF. With PCMs, engine and transmission problems are often inter-related.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 1996 ford taurus that won't go into gear but starts fine. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1996 ford taurus and I was leaveing home and soon as I went to put it in drive it made it to reverse and stuck then It would't go into drive I use a little force to try to put it Into drive and no go afther that I went to put it back in to park And it wouldn't go into park. So I...

Why doesn't my 1996 ford taurus shift into gear [ 1 Answers ]

Transmission not going in gear right away, when I first start the car it goes into gear fine, but when I make a short run cut of and go back to start the car it doesn't shift I have to give it a lot of throttle for it to jump in gear

1996 Chev 350 charging issues [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 96 chev. I seem to be going through alternators every couple of years. Right now I think that my alternator is always working under full load; but if you disconnect the battery the truck dies. I don't have any starting issues or any charging problems. I have used reman alternator and...

1996 E-350 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel Problems [ 1 Answers ]

1996 E-350 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel Problems Just started running real bad At start up RMPs drop to 530 fluctuating to 640 very slow. What would cause this to run perfectly smooth to absolutely brutal? Thanks

View more questions Search