Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heroldh2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 04:38 AM
    Do I need to invest money for a good lawyer for my case or average lawyer it is OK?
    I got married 7 months ago and after a few days the immigration police caught me on Over Stay. I went to prison for a few days. After that, my lawyer send my form I-130 after two or three months after they caught me. A few days ago I had my first court and the judge gave me an extension for another two months and my problem is that the form should be approved at this time. I got a lawyer is a good lawyer but I do not feel he is treating me well and I worry about it. Besides he is expensive,
    My questions are
    1) should I look for another lawyer and pay less?

2)If my form is still not confirmed by the second court date
    Am I able to get another court date once I have a lawyer?
    Thank you for the help!!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2012, 04:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by heroldh2 View Post
    I got married 7 months ago and after a few days the immigration police caught me on Over Stay. I went to prison for a few days. After that, my lawyer send my form i-130 after two or three months after they caught me. A few days ago I had my first court and the judge gave me an extension for another two months and my problem is that the form should be approved at this time. I got a lawyer is a good lawyer but i do not feel he is treating me well and I worry about it. besides he is expensive,
    My questions are
    1) should I look for another lawyer and pay less?

2)If my form is still not confirmed by the second court date
    Am i able to get another court date once i have a lawyer?
    Thank you for the help!!!
    Get a good lawyer... as you discovered, and we keep telling everyone... getting married doesn't give you an automatic right to live here, or even guarantee that you even can get a green card. Or you can save yourself a lot of money and just leave... which a cheap lawyer might result in anyway, after you spend a lot of money.

You can spend thousands and still have to return to your home country to reapply... it still might take you over 10 years... its even possible they will never approve it depending on a lot of factors. If you even get it in less than 2 or 3 more years... count yourself extremely lucky. Particularly AFTER having been picked up on being here illegally. Usually that results in a deportation and a ban for a number of years on even reapplying.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2012, 05:24 AM
    Better lawyer, but not sure why you think it should be approved, you were not here legally, and marriage does not give you any automatic rights to citizenship. Many times even with the best attorneys, they will require you to move back to your own nation and refile for immigration.

Is your new spouse OK with moving back to your nation and working on citizenship with you ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Company lawyer or personal lawyer for PERM, I140 & I485 [ 3 Answers ]

Company makes it mandatory to go through their contracted attorneys office for PERM application then I have the choice whether to continue with that attorney for I140 & I485 or choose an independent attorney. Either way I'm paying the fees for both the applications. Any pros or cons on this issue...

Can a lawyer give out info on a case to someone not involved. [ 1 Answers ]

My friend went to see a lawyer after his home burned down and people were stealing things from the property. The lawyer was asking him questions and my name came up as his girlfriend. The lawyer then told him about a case that had my name in it as one of the defendants and gave him details of this...

When and how do I contact the lawyer that will be asigned to my shoplifting case? [ 2 Answers ]

I was cought shoplifting at a Simons store. Security called the police and they sent me home with acitation to court. Simon's then sent me a letter from its lawyers demanding a 450$ fee for costs of security and the troubles caused, etc. I was planning to pay it but I been reading wherever I find...

Landlord's lawyer says we have no case and we are not getting any money back [ 3 Answers ]

This is a month to month lease in New York. During October ,Nov and Dec. landlord refuses to fix heat and there was NO heat throughout house with numerous notifications. We thought he would fix it but instead right before Christmas tells us either we fix it or get out. The boiler man says the...

Lawyer took my money! [ 2 Answers ]

Can I sue my former attorney's malpractice insurance for her misappropriating my funds? I filed a formal complaint with the California state bar. They found that she had misappropriated my funds, but by the end of the divorce had paid what they thought she owed (even though I had to fight over 2...

View more questions Search