Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmartin015 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 07:39 PM
    Vent requirement for kitchen sink
    Hello all you plumbers,
    I am remodeling my kitchen and moving my sink from an interior wall to a exterior adjacent wall under a window. The current vent services only the kitchen draIn and goes up two stories to the roof above. Can I put in a new vent that goes up to the first level overhang vice all the way up? I live in Hawaii. Is there a minimum length for the vent?
    Thanks
    jmartin015
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 08:31 PM
    Nope, can't vent to the eave of the home. You need to get ABOVE the roof line. In a pinch some folks try using an AAV which may not be legal in your state. AAV are also called Studor vents or cheaters

Jun 21, 2012, 10:30 PM
    Thanks, I guess I can use the existing vent and just run it horizontal and connect before the turn in the wall. I will check the AAV solution as well.
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jun 22, 2012, 07:07 AM
    Before you can can change vent from veritcal to horizontal you must be 6" above flood level of kitchen sink. If legal in your area, Oatey makes 1 1/2" trap with AAV on it. It is the same as 1 1/2" trap with a opening to screw AAV on it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2012, 08:34 AM
    Let's keep this simple. Call your local Building Department and ask if AAV's are legal in your area. If they are simply tee one on behind your trap. (see image). Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Jun 22, 2012, 12:43 PM
    Thank guys. I have been told by a contractor that AAV's are not allowed here. But I want to put one in anyway along with the original vent. So the AAV will vent about 4 ft up to where the original vent connects (right after the 90 degree turn) downline. I may have to buy one online though, any suggestions about a brand name or type?
    BTW, it is near impossible to find a phone number on line for the county builders code people. I guess they just don't want to be bothered. Lol
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 22, 2012, 12:51 PM
    Hi Jmartin

There is absolutely no need for an AAV here if you are connecting into the original vent.

Not only is it illegal in your area, but an AAV must remain accessible for future swap out should the AAV fail. Never mind that it just isn't necessary if you tie into the original vent.

Just be sure to pipe the vent so it has some pitch, and keeps that pitch, from the original vent back to the sink, OK?

Good luck!

Mark

Jun 22, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Jmartin

There is absolutely no need for an AAV here if you are connecting into the original vent.

Not only is it illegal in your area, but an AAV must remain accessible for future swap out should the AAV fail. Never mind that it just isn't necessary if you tie into the original vent.

Just be sure to pipe the vent so it has some pitch, and keeps that pitch, from the original vent back to the sink, OK?

Good luck!

Mark
    OK, thanks. I will pitch the vent at 45 degress from the verticle cutoff into the 2" drain pipe as it comes around the 90 degree corner bend.

Appreciate the help. I was also going to have a trap under the sink and leave a trap (original trap) at the point where the drain goes down into the floor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocating Sink Drain/Vent to Dedicated Stack Serving Kitchen Sink & Dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

I am relocating an upstairs vanity sink from one wall to another (also going from single to double bowl). Rather than relocate the drain and vent pipe, I am hoping that I can tie into a 1-1/2" copper vent pipe that is located right behind the vanities intended location. The copper vent pipe is from...

Kitchen sink vent? [ 1 Answers ]

Can some one guide me to a picture of what it looks like in the plunbing system from the kitchen sink to the main drain. I'm wondering how the sink drain and the vent need to come together to avoid the glug, and or siphoning in the sink trap. Thanks for any help. Curtis:) :eek:

Vent on kitchen sink [ 8 Answers ]

Hello Y'all - I am new to the site. Does anyone know what the "vent" is called that is on the kitchen sink. It makes a noise when the dishwasher is going! :confused:

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen sink vent [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older house with a kitchen sink and wash machine that use the same drain. After washing clothes or dishes there is a nasty odor that comes from the basement. (I assume where the drain is) There seems to be no vent to the outside ? Does it need one? Does it have to go through the roof or...

View more questions Search