Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zraii Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 10:39 AM
    Relinquish parental rights - Texas
    My marriage and divorce was in Texas. I left the father when the child was 15 months old. It has been 4 years now and the father has never contacted us or seen the child. I have not asked for child support, nor has he paid any though it has been ordered by the court. I do not want his money, by the way.

What I do want is to terminate his rights without making any contact with him. Is this possible? I have very personal reasons for not wanting to ever contact this man, unless through an attorney or unless I absolutely have to.

Since the father has not used any right to visitation (I have full custody/conservatorship, he is basically a legal guardian) or paid any child support, is it possible to have his rights terminated?

I am not looking to have my son adopted at this time. I would like to perhaps look into moving to another country but with the father in the picture legally, I would not be able to leave the country. At this moment in time, I can not even get my child a passport.

I appreciate any and all advice anyone can give me. Thank you so much.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zraii View Post
    My marriage and divorce was in Texas. I left the father when the child was 15 months old. It has been 4 years now and the father has never contacted us or seen the child. I have not asked for child support, nor has he paid any though it has been ordered by the court. I do not want his money, by the way.

What I do want is to terminate his rights without making any contact with him. Is this possible? I have very personal reasons for not wanting to ever contact this man, unless through an attorney or unless I absolutely have to.

Since the father has not used any right to visitation (I have full custody/conservatorship, he is basically a legal guardian) or paid any child support, is it possible to have his rights terminated?

I am not looking to have my son adopted at this time. I would like to perhaps look into moving to another country but with the father in the picture legally, I would not be able to leave the country. At this moment in time, I can not even get my child a passport.

I appreciate any and all advice anyone can give me. Thank you so much.
    Simple answer... NO. He is legally the father until there is an adoption... like it or not.

Jun 21, 2012, 10:42 AM
    One thing I'd like to add - when we went into the divorce proceedings, we both asked the judge to terminate his rights. We both wanted this. The judge did not grant it because he felt that my ex would get off scott-free, without understanding the entire situation.

I know my ex would likely agree 4 years later to sign off, if it is somehow possible.

Thank you.

Jun 21, 2012, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Simple answer.....NO. He is legally the father until there is an adoption...like it or not.
    How's that possible when the judge considered it in our case?
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 10:53 AM
    hows that possible when the judge considered it in our case?
    I don't think so... you only think that... they don't take away rights without giving them to someone else... I.E. adoption,

That's so YOU don't end up on welfare while he gets off without paying support. Leaving the taxpayers getting screwed. Children are not property... and the courts know this.

Jun 21, 2012, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I don't think so....you only think that...they don't take away right without giving them to someone else....

so YOU don't end up on welfare and he get off without paying support.

Children are not property.....
    The child had an ad litem attorney because we specifically asked for termination of parental rights. The lawyers met on this more than once. Its not just a thought or opinion - the major part of the divorce was the termination of parental rights.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 11:01 AM
    The child had an ad litem attorney because we specifically asked for termination of parental rights. the lawyers met on this more than once. its not just a thought or opinion - the major part of the divorce was the termination of parental rights.
    Then present a link that shows how that can be legally done... and what legal codes permit it and when...

Because the reality is the courts of the USA which you are in... will not terminate the rights of a parent that is NOT serious threat to the child for the convienience of the other parent unless there is an adoption involved.

Jun 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
    Texas Family Code - Chapter 161 Termination Of The Parent-Child Relationship - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

There's a lot there, but I was hoping for someone to advise me who's been through something similar. I appreciate your feedback, smoothy. Perhaps I can get another perspective through someone else too.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2012, 11:17 AM
    Yes the court may have considered it and yes the law allows the court to consider it. But the fact is they didn't do it, did they? That's because even though some areas permit it the mood of the courts are not to do it unless the parent is a danger to the child or to make way for an adoption.

The law says a court MAY grant a termination. In other words it leaves it up to the discretion of the court. And the vast majority of courts feel that, if the parent is not exercising his rights, there is no reason to terminate them. They prefer two parent families, so they want to leave it open for the father to change his mind about being in the child's life. Nor does it matter whether the father is willing or not.

But feel free to hire an attorney and pay him big bucks to argue the matter in court.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 11:17 AM
    I'm coming into this late - what section of that law applies to your situation?

I will say I never understand the "I do not want his money" statement when it pertains to child support. I don't know why people who don't want or need the money don't pursue and accept it and then use the funds for the child's college education, a car when he/she reaches legal age, whatever it takes.

On the other hand if you are independently wealthy it's another story - although I still don't understand it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
    One thing I'd like to add - when we went into the divorce proceedings, we both asked the judge to terminate his rights. We both wanted this. The judge did not grant it because he felt that my ex would get off scott-free, without understanding the entire situation.

I know my ex would likely agree 4 years later to sign off, if it is somehow possible.

Thank you.

Now I'm confused - you and your "ex" BOTH asked the Judge to terminate his rights. That is the relief you BOTH requested.

The Judge did not grant it because he didn't understand the situation. What part didn't the Judge understand? Was that information then brought to the Judge's attention?

Here's my concern - the father won't sign for a passport and you think he'll sign a Petition.

I don't think it's going to happen. I see a lot of "could," not a lot of "will" on the site you posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Having Ex relinquish parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem. My ex lives in California, I live in Texas. My ex has been in and out of jail, on drugs, and he is also Bi-polar, and can be abusive. Last time I spoke to him he was homeless, and stealing and back on drugs even though he is on parole. I need to know what forms I can fill out to...

Forms to relinquish parental rights in Texas [ 4 Answers ]

I need to find out where my daughter can get a free form for her husband ro relinquish his parental rights in Texas. Already filled out divorce papers and the divorce is uncontested. Need for husband to give up rights, he is schizophrinic with multiple personality disorder and depression. Please...

How do I relinquish my parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a man out of work and being sued for child support my child does not want anything to do with me and the mother will not accept anything less than the full amount of support she is trying to get my probation revoked on the basis that I did not make the full payments from June of 07 until now....

Relinquish parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of North Carolina how does a father voluntary relinquish his parental rights and give all rights to the mother?

Relinquish parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

His ex-girlfriend is trying to get more money out of him for child support. He is already tapped out. He feels if he gives her any more money he won't have anything to give his little girl when he has her. He feels that if she gets more money out of him that he will have to give his daughter up...

View more questions Search