Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curiousneedanswers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Statutes of limitation
    Just wondering, I live in ontario, and recently after close to a decade a financial institution has sent a collection agency after me for a debt I paid a close to a decade ago. Its not for a lot of money, but I feel I should not pay anything. Now the collection has a law firm after me saying they will sue, but the info they gave me regarding these charges were incorrect. What should I do ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 28, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Do not pay one cent or offer to make a settlement. That would restart your statute of limitations. I think you have gone beyond the statute and they are just feeling you out to see if you blink.
    curiousneedanswers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousneedanswers
    Just wondering, I live in ontario, and recently after close to a decade a financial institution has sent a collection agency after me for a debt i payed a close to a decade ago. Its not for a lot of money, but i feel i should not pay anything. Now the collection has a law firm after me saying they will sue, but the info they gave me regarding these charges were incorrect. What should i do ?
    That's what I thought. I asked them to provide evidence that I owed the money and they could not give me an answer .
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Legally, the statute of limitations begins after the last transaction, acknowledgement of debt or promise to pay. If you made any promises to pay you start the whole thing again so be careful.

Morally, why not pay the debt if you actually never paid it?

Feb 28, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Collection agencies buy up old debt, sometimes for pennise on the dollar. All they need is for one or two people to get scared and offer a settlement and then they are ahead. Just not blink, ignore them.

Please rate my answer so I'll know if I helped you.

Good luck.

Feb 28, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Grammadidi is making a big error here. You said "...for a debt i payed a close to a decade ago. " so there is no moral obligation. If you offer to pay anything at this point you will reopen the statute of limitations.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Grammadidi is making a big error here. You said "...for a debt i payed a close to a decade ago. " so there is no moral obligation. If you offer to pay anything at this point you will reopen the statute of limitations.

OOOPS!! Sorry, I misread the typo in the original post. I thought he hadn't paid it. If so, why even be concerned about a statute of limitations?? If you paid the debt, you don't owe it!

Sorry for the faux pas...

Didi
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 08:56 PM
    curiousneedanswers,

ballengerb1's answer to you is absolutely correct (post number 2).

I just wish to add that the SOL that applies in your case was 6 years. Nowadays it is 2 years (for debt after Jan 1/04)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statue of limitation [ 5 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitation on statutory rape? Also, the time of limitation has passed, what other way can you charge some one with statutory rape against a 14 year old, if they were 25 at the time?

About Statute of Limitation [ 5 Answers ]

What exactly does it mean "not more than four years after the day THE CAUSE OF ACTION ACCRUES ..."? Does it mean a collection agency cannot make a claim after four years have elapsed from when the last payment stopped? Or does it mean a collection agency cannot take legal action after four years...

Statue of Limitation [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statute of Limitation on a DUI charge in BC or Canada. I have a warrant out of my arrest in BC. I didn't even know about it until I was pulled over in Alberta. I was under the impression from the cop that I talked to on the phone that I had taken care of all of that mess. But then I...

Virginia L-T Statutes [ 4 Answers ]

:p VA residential tenants "may" have a lease relationship under the VRLTA - Virginia Residential Landlord Tenant Act - DEPENDING on the # of and type of residential rental units the property owner may own. If the rented residence is a SFR - single family residence - it is doubtful the VRLTA is...

View more questions Search