Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teela10105 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 05:14 PM
    Concerning my employment
    I have a question and Im not sure what it is that I need to do. I have sickle Cell Anemia that requires me to get blood transfusion on a monthly basis. I have worked for my company for 2 and a half months. Yesterday I was off work because I needed to go in to the hospital for my transfusion. I usually takes a few hours and Im allowed to go home the seem day. Unfortunately, I had a seizure yesterday why going through the procedure. When I came through and was able to talk, I contacted my job about the situation. I told them I will have to remain in the hospital over night because the doctors didn't know what caused the seizures. I got an excuse from my doctor saying that IM not aloud to return to work until 06/22/2012. I called work again letting them know what the situation is, but they are refusing the letter from the doctor, and I don't know if I have any kind of rights to protect my job so that I don't loose it. I might have to go in tomorrow against doctor's advice to avoid losing my job. Please does anyone have an idea about what I can and can't do in this situation? This job is my lively hood. I work for Macy's in Utah. Please contact me asap.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 05:17 PM
    Is there an employee handbook?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 05:20 PM
    Was your employer aware of your medical needs when they hired you?

Fact is, they don't need a reason to fire you. If you can't work, miss too much work, or they just don't need you anymore, they can let you go.

I really wouldn't advise you going to work against doctors orders, because it could jeopardize your health, but, you can't expect your employer to keep someone on staff that can't do the job they hired you to do.

Look at it from their perspective. They hired you to do a job. It's retail. Retail isn't easy, and it's not 9-5 Mon-Fri. If they can't rely on you to be there when you're booked to work, there are plenty of people looking for a job that will be there when they're booked. To you it's just a missed day, for them it's short staffing a business that needs its employees to show up when they're booked.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 20, 2012, 05:21 PM
    Key questions for you:
    Does your employer have written policy (like a handbook) that defines sick leave?
    Did your employer know about your condition when you were hired?
    Many people think that a doctor's orders are all that is needed to take time off from work, but that just isn't so unless you were hired as a disabled person or unless your needs were clearly known when you were hired (even then, additional problems like the seizures can change the situation).
    Obviously your health comes first and Macy's can even refuse to let you come back early if they feel that you are a hazard around the workfloor, such as being weak and dizzy. So, yes, you may lose your job, sorry.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 05:22 PM
    Right, I looked at the law - you can be fired at will. That means they can fire you for any or no reason with very few exceptions. Illness is not one of them. F.A.Q. Discrimination in Employment - Utah Labor Commission

Did they give you a very specific reason - they need you on the sale floor, you take too much time off, anything?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employment Restrictions on Employment Authorization Card [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the process AOS (I485) under Eb3 from India. My Priority date is Dec 2002. I have been working on a Federal Project as a contractor on my EAD. 2 days ago, they let me go for the reason that the project became high risk, and only US citizens and GC holders are only allowed. I am planning to...

Employment [ 0 Answers ]

I joined a Company 3 months back was promised many things verbally and nothing delivered. I have not been given a offer letter till date. Salary is paid after 50 days after making several requests. I want to resign and file a lawsuit against my employer for this harassment. Till date I don't have...

Why would I need to pay self employment tax on employment settlement [ 1 Answers ]

My original question was regarding 1099 misc I can't find any informaiton regarding the rational of paying self employment tax on settlement when I was an employee of this company I found this documentation on a site regarding self employment. Also how can I determine what the award is replacing. ...

Employment Law regarding employment applications [ 2 Answers ]

I know that employers can ask on their applications if you have ever been convicted of a felony, but I ran into one the other day that asked "Have you ever been convicted of a felony in the last 7 years?" Just wondering why the 7 years.

View more questions Search