Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zaphod Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2004, 07:16 PM
    What's going on with my computer?
    Recently my paypal account was hacked into and several purchases were made without my authorization. Prior to the incident, naturally, I was not too bright and had the same password for several different sites (I have since changed all of my psswds). But here's the problem, after the paypal incident, I did not change my hotmail account info. Today I was on msn Messenger and was informed that someone else had signed in as me so I was signed off. I promptly went to the hotmail page and changed my password and now I can't access my hotmail because there have been "too many unsuccessful attempts". What's going on? DOes whoever is out there using my password only have that one? How do they have it? I keep my virus software (norton) up to date and just ran spybot software from Microsoft, now what?
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 19, 2004, 07:36 PM
    Your computer has been hijacked.
    Go to:
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
    And download/install/run the hijackthis program.
    Then go to:
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/
    And register to get professional help for free.
    When registered, you should open a new thread in the forum (at virtualdr), talk about your problem and upload a hijackthis log. You will be fixed in no time.
    Please take the time and read all information (particulary the FAQ) on that site (there is some etiquette to respect).
    Abandon that hotmail address and when you're through with your problems, sign up for a new one.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2004, 04:31 AM
    Hijacked
    Hi,
    Before you go through the "hijack this" business and the forums, you might want to try scanning with 2 great free programs:

If you have the following programs; run them as below.
    Spyware/Advertising ware removal

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3

AdAware at:
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

Both the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.
    It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first time.
    Two Tips:
    If you notice the little green computer lights that show your dial-up connection to the internet staying on when they shouldn't be, located on the bottom right of the system tray, disconnect immediately and run AdAware. These lights staying on means that some URL is sending or receiving spyware/advertising ware to or from your computer, most of the time.

Other Tip: After being on the net, if you have visited any sites you don't really trust, then run AdAware BEFORE you shut down or re-start the computer. This will delete any Spyware easier, before the computer can configure it, set it up, spread it throughout the Registry, and make it more difficult to remove after re-booting.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 18, 2005, 07:17 PM
    More Help
    For Spyware protection and general help cleaning up the computer and registry I recommend,

The following files, as I have found 1 or even 2 is not always enough as 1 may find

Something the others do not.

Spyware
    Microsoft New SPyware program-Formerly Giant spyware, they bought it out.
    Spysweeper
    Spybot search and destroy
    Adware SE
    Aluria's Spyware Eliminator
    Spyhunter
    &
    Spyware Blaster, this one prevents certain items, before they are even installed, it does

Not clean.

I would suggest at the very least 3 or more of the above programs.

Registry and Fix and Repair programs
    Fix it Utilities 5 this one has an excellent Scandisk, better than the one with your OS
    Advanced System Optimizer
    Ace Utilities
    System Mechanic 5

Any 2 or more of these.

And download the Google toolbar with built in pop up stopper for your browser is good.

And a good solid Anti Virus Program or 2, updated weekly.
    PC-Cillin
    AVG Anti Virus
    Bitdefender
    Etrust EZ Anti virus

I would suggest using 2 of these.

A good defragging Program or 2
    Diskeeper Lite
    Perfect Disk.

Also run from Start/run type in chkdsk then let that run then type in chkdsk /f to help fix

WinXP errors.

Also use the below website, that tests and reviews some for the best programs out for many

Different things, they give you side by side comparisons and rate each one in many

Categories.
    http://www.toptenreviews.com/ :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's going on? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all, Don't know how this site works but can you ask questions and get answers from a phychic? If that's the case I really need to know what's going on between me and this guy at work. We seem very connected and everything seems like it should be, but we cannot move on to the next level. I...

What's next [ 1 Answers ]

I am just wondering where my life will go from here? What's next for me? Is my father my biological father? :confused:

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

What's going on [ 1 Answers ]

This site has me listed as last visiting on Dec. 31 1969 I didn't even have a computer back then... this definitely isn't me! What's going on here?

View more questions Search