Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    permaspin Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 08:37 AM
    I just picked up a genuine honda distriubtor from my local scrap yard for $100 with a 3 month warranty.. Before installed it, do you think I should install my brand new ICM and coil that I just got today because I returned the other ones under warranty? Or install it as is?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2012, 10:25 AM
    I'd install your new ICM and coil, along with your almost new rotor and distributor cap.

Jul 18, 2012, 10:43 AM
    Ok, ill report back tomorrow when everything is installed, thank you.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2012, 10:44 AM
    OK. Just make sure the CEL comes on and goes off normally.

Jul 18, 2012, 11:22 AM
    I removed the distributor completely last night.. With it removed will the CEL still come on in II position?
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2012, 11:51 AM
    Not sure (likely stay on). With the distributor installed, the CEL should come on for 2 seconds and then go out, when the ignition switch is turned to Position II. If it doesn't, the problem may be with the ECM and not the distributor. That's why I'm harping about it. If the CEL stays on, and there are no codes, the odds are that the ECM is toast.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2012, 06:40 PM
    Anything to report?

Jul 20, 2012, 07:14 AM
    I picked up the used genuine honda distributor yesterday, brought it home, opened it up and was amazed at the difference between the inside of this one and my old one... Everything looked brand new and clean, shiny, and no rust.. I removed the coil and ICM and put the brand new ones in.. Reinstalled, set the timing and drove 60 miles this morning with no troubles..

Time will tell.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2012, 07:20 AM
    I don't think you will have any more trouble. Good job!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 honda civic hatchback won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have replaced the main reay, plugs , wires , ignition coil, cap, and rotar and still won't start. What else could it be?

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback [ 6 Answers ]

I have read the previous post about late 80-91 hondas. My car idles great and always starts on the first try. My problem is that it sputters or looses power once in a while when I am driving. It has never stalled while driving.I have taken it to the shop and they have checked everything they think...

1991 honda civic hatchback sometimes it turns off why please help! [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 1991 honda civic like 6 moths ago a did a swapp engine came off a 1989 integra double cam zc jdm engine complete with a pg7 ecu swapp came out good no problems then I drove it like for 3 moths and stop the car in the garage for like 3 moths 2 weeks ago I decided to turn it on and drive it...

1991 honda civic hatchback cx wiring problems [ 1 Answers ]

My civic when I put on my high beam lights my temperature gauge goes full and so does my gas hand go full, I have two sensors gone the one that turns on my coolent engine fan and a speed sensor , what's wrong with my gauges ?

Idle problems with a 1991 Honda Civic DX Hatchback [ 3 Answers ]

I have been fighting this problem for the past year and a bit and to be honest I would like to just take the stupid thing out back and shoot it. It starts fine and will idle for awhile fine but once it hits a certain temp (or if I drive it cold and come to the first stoplight) it idles ridiculously...

View more questions Search